Sign in to follow this  

Deep fried stator? New R/R Still won't start!

Looking for advice: Bike died on a ride and would not start, cranked it til the battery died then walked out. After checking TT I went back and disconnected the R/R and the bike did start. So I ordered a new Electrosport Stator, New RR and installed both. Old stator looked a bit melted. just got it back together and it sounds just like it did when dead on the trail: cranks but no fire up. Disconnected the R/R and now it won't even start like that!! Thanks for any advice!!

Looking for advice: Bike died on a ride and would not start, cranked it til the battery died then walked out. After checking TT I went back and disconnected the R/R and the bike did start. So I ordered a new Electrosport Stator, New RR and installed both. Old stator looked a bit melted. just got it back together and it sounds just like it did when dead on the trail: cranks but no fire up. Disconnected the R/R and now it won't even start like that!! Thanks for any advice!!

Electrosport must stay in business by people who don't know any better

Hard to say for sure but there can be both assembly errors (your and/or the manufacturer) and product errors.  Electrosport does not necessarily build bad products.  Talk to Electrosport.  There are so many reasons a motor will not start, it may not be the stator at all.  Going to have to narrow it down some.

Do you have spark? If not check and see of you installed the pickup coil in backwards

Hi Guys, Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!. Yes, bad choice on Electrosport for sure. Kicking myself for not researching it better. I was hosting a ride last weekend and really needed my bike, couldn't reach any human being at Electrosport and wasted ALOT of time trying to sort it. I finally bailed and loaded up my trsuty 2Stroke instead. Ride was at 6000' and above so it ran like crap the whole trip, BUT it did run! After multiple calls to Esport this week , I finally reached Kyle. He told me that the black and white wires needed to be reversed at the  stator's CDI connector!!! Seems like a MAJOR screw up on their part to ship em that way but I did not call him on that since he already had a bit of an attitude (like I was asking for a big favor? I just want the part to work) and I figure I may need help from them in the future ( like on the return when the stator fails). Anyhow , I removed the pins from the connector, reversed the black and white wire locations , and the bike started right up. So problem seems to be SOLVED! for the moment. I do notice a new and unpleasant sound eminating from the stator cover area: sounds like a knocky interference of some kind. It's pretty minor but def noticable and dont hear it on the other side at all. Engine is as smooth as ever so not sure what to do but I will take a thorough test ride today and see what happens. Thanks again, Great Group!!

Yes the black & white wire referral is fairly common.  I should have suggested that.  As for the noise, if the wire protection plates are not completely seated down against the cover, it (they) can contact the flywheel.  I would check that right away.  And of course the starter clutch and stator bolts.