Sign in to follow this  

cr250 sounding too pingy/tingy

i have recently bought a 95 cr250 that has just been rebuilt top to bottom with fresh seals and has the pj carb with the head shaved .020. the bike has surges when idling after a moment which was previously all the time prior to a good carb clean. it felt like it had ran better after the clean and slightly turning in the air screw about at 1/4 turn ( total turned out 1 3/4) which seemed to help fight the surging. after a good ride tonight i came back to put the bike up and let it idle to really hear what it was doing and i had noticed it sounded a slight tingy and it seemed to get worse so i tried adjusting the air screw and the idle and still just made things worse. where the tinging would get louder and idle down much slower with still the high tinging. from what i understand it sounded like it would be described as running lean but i dont think it was. i am running benoil 32:1 premium pump gas and have a compression rate of 9.5/1. before i shut it down in fear of it blowing up sure enought it had started to over heat and radator over flow expelled fluid. not sure what to think need your guys help. best way to describe it abnormally tingy.

with that said i just want to add that it feels as tho it doesnt take any time to wind up just a matter of seconds and your hitting the next gear almost to fast from what i remember my 94 yz 80 took longer to wind up than this cr just doesnt feel right to me but iv only rode a few 250 2 strokes

Hmmmm that's interesting.... I have bought a250 2stroke and everyone has told me not to let it idle. If it was rebuilt from bottum up hopefulky everything was put back right and more importantly broke in right. Espicially if a crank was replaced...sounds stupid buy check and make sure everything is good and tight and check your pipes for small pin holes or something. My buddy has a 99 cr250 and his sounds smooth and good.

If he isnt fouling plugs or anything it shouldn't be in the jetting should it?

You said it ran better 1/4 turn in so why not keep turning it in and see if it gets even better?

If you have to turn it in 3/4 more (less then 1 turn out total) then its probably your jetting (need larger pilot jet).  <---Might have that backwards

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Compression test it, I bet it's really high, try some race gas and maybe the det will go away. Also check the timing as well. Also if the power valve is sticking or not set up correctly it will cause surging idle and overall poor performance.

It does sound like a lean thing. Did you mill the head or did you get it like that? Most 2 strokes don't like pump gas anyway. There are too many additives in it and it seems inconsistent from the pump.