Could dirty 2 stroke head pipe cause smoke

I have a 2001 ktm 200exc the header is a fmf gnarly it looks pretty black and spooge-ee. Bikes jetted properly and it's not burning tranny oil or coolant but still smokes more than it should. Could a dirty pipe cause the production of that much smoke? Post a pic of the smoke soon

When was the last time you burned/cleaned it out? I do mine once a year usually, and it never gets too bad.

You could give it a 2 stroke tune up...pin it and burn it out the old fashioned way!

Haven't burned it out in a while it's pretty built up in there ... Might have to do it old fashioned way!!!

My old 300 used to smoke like that too. Ran like a champ, but smoked like a chimney. It rarely fouled plugs so I just re-packed the silencer every 4-5 rides and it kept the spooge at bay.

The don't call 'em 2 smokes for nothing!

Could depend on the pre mix you are using as well.  Some smoke more than others.

Agree!

I`d be looking at cleaning that pipe out, and re evaluate my choice of oil, along with mix ratio.

From what I understand; a bike manufacturer might recommend a 32:1 ratio....your oil might be designed to perform at 50:1

Agree!

I`d be looking at cleaning that pipe out, and re evaluate my choice of oil, along with mix ratio.

From what I understand; a bike manufacturer might recommend a 32:1 ratio....your oil might be designed to perform at 50:1

I will look into that. The thing is , my bike isn't fouling plugs the plug is a nice mocha brown so it can't be running rich. That's why I'm thinking it's the pipe but it could be oil like you said. I run 32:1 klotz r50
  • Haha 1

I will look into that. The thing is , my bike isn't fouling plugs the plug is a nice mocha brown so it can't be running rich. That's why I'm thinking it's the pipe but it could be oil like you said. I run 32:1 klotz r50

Klotz R50...great choice IMO. however, contact them and ask for certain, but I believe your bike would work much better at 50:1 with that oil.

Back in 1980 ish, we ran one top end on the finest BelRay, and then one on Klotz. The top end run with Klotz had much less carbon, fouling on piston and rings. Looked like new compared to BelRay...YRMV

Klotz R50...great choice IMO. however, contact them and ask for certain, but I believe your bike would work much better at 50:1 with that oil.

Back in 1980 ish, we ran one top end on the finest BelRay, and then one on Klotz. The top end run with Klotz had much less carbon, fouling on piston and rings. Looked like new compared to BelRay...YRMV

Might not go as far as running 50:1 just for personal preference but might try 40:1. It's not like it's running rich it just seems to be smoking a lot lol. Gonna try to clean out the pipe and then take it from there. I have notice klotz performing very well. Checked my piston after 5 hours although it's not a lot of time the piston still looked brand new.