Sign in to follow this  

What's with the re-builds?

Fairly new to the scene, and am wondering whats the go with people re-building engines so regularly, I understand a 2 stroke might need it after a while (a long while I'd have thought), but a 4 stroke? I use the philosophy 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it... or mess with it', am I going to get into grief?

How/why are motorbike engines chewing themselves apart so quickly compared to other engines? My bikes maintenance schedule says nothing about replacing internal engine components, it goes to 36,000km and still makes no mention.

Fairly new to the scene, and am wondering whats the go with people re-building engines so regularly, I understand a 2 stroke might need it after a while (a long while I'd have thought), but a 4 stroke? I use the philosophy 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it... or mess with it', am I going to get into grief?

How/why are motorbike engines chewing themselves apart so quickly compared to other engines? My bikes maintenance schedule says nothing about replacing internal engine components, it goes to 36,000km and still makes no mention.

Dirt bikes operate in what would be considered a "severe service" environment...

Pro-active maintenance is FAR less costly than reactive maintenance. Also, where are you typically when on a dirt bike? Me.....miles from anywhere, so it's gotta work....always.....without compromise.

Imagine if aircraft companies thought "If it ain't broke don't fix it". ;)

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 6

Also, bikes are not as robust as they used to be. You could take an old Honda XR, Suzuki DR, Yamaha TT or TTR a LOT longer without opening the engine than you can take the new CRF-R or X, RMZ, or YZF. Downside is they didn't have the power of the newer bikes and they carried a lot more weight in the engine than the new ones.

I miss the older ones myself.

I see what jqueen is saying. Only thing i can figure it is these newer bikes will motocross bikes in general is more of a high performance engine. There turned up quite a bit. And with that there going to need more maintenance. I've rode with people on the old xr's and the old kdx and they seem to be real tough machines.

the biggest issue people have with dirtbikes is simply not taking care of them. routine maintenance and they will last. new bikes arn't made to be milage tickers like the 400s were. its due in part to higher performance being priority and not dependability, oe's gotta sell parts!

Yeah really...people will complain about them not lasting but ask them the last time there oil was changed...or get out onto a trail 30 miles from a truck and a bike takes 9000 kicks because the valves aren't adjustedright..a lot of people do seem to just add gas and go....

Do you want to spend a little time and/or money right now OR do you want to spend a lot of time and/or money later?

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Routine maintenance and some TLC sure, but I'd rather not have to pull the entire engine apart every year or two and replace everything, that's just crazy!

Seems like a joke if your paying $10k plus on a new bike and having to replace half the engine a year or two later, makes me think these people have nothing better to do, or are just going over the top?

Idk about the whole 10k plus on a new bike. I have a.2011 yz250 that i paid 4500 for..it realy just comes down do to certain things for instance a bike that is raced on the track hard will have to have more maintenance than a bike that sees more woods, roads, trails,etc.

It's mainly motocross bikes because they have high strung race engines. There to the point that the 250s are getting into the 40hp range stock from the factory and there made to be as lightweight as possible. It's all pretty amazing imo.

• Like 1

I need to be careful here because somebody might get mad at my "opinion", so I ride/race a 125cc 2-stroke and it needs a new topend/clutch/tires every 7 hours to stay in top shape and able to handle the abuse it takes.  I also have a 450 4-stroke that gets rebuild every 50 hours for the same reason (what a difference!).  Every bike has it's service limit to stay in top shape, however you can run them for much longer if you choose but you are risking not only power lose but engine failure and when approaching a large jump the last thing you want is the bike to stall on the face and throw you over the bars breaking many bones.

I need to be careful here because somebody might get mad at my "opinion", so I ride/race a 125cc 2-stroke and it needs a new topend/clutch/tires every 7 hours to stay in top shape and able to handle the abuse it takes. I also have a 450 4-stroke that gets rebuild every 50 hours for the same reason (what a difference!). Every bike has it's service limit to stay in top shape, however you can run them for much longer if you choose but you are risking not only power lose but engine failure and when approaching a large jump the last thing you want is the bike to stall on the face and throw you over the bars breaking many bones.

You must be a pro...

• Like 1