Sign in to follow this  

Easiest way to add turn signals to an E model turned SM?

I may not even bother, it is street legal as is, but I was just thinking of it to make me even more visible which is never a bad thing. Plus if I decide to sell it later the buyer would probably like signals.

Anyway I have a 2001 DRZ 400 E that I coverted in to an SM and somehow luckily got it street legal in NC a couple years ago, yeah I should have bought some lottery tickets that day too. As anyone who lives in NC knows getting title and tag for any bike that doesn't come from the factory street legal is ridiculous and nearly impossible, basically they made a mistake, oh well it's legal now :-)

Anyway I was just wondering what the thoughts on the simpliest and cheapest way to add signals would be. I figure just buying an S or SM wiring harness of eBay and adding signals would be maybe the easiest without having to cut into the wiring harness and do a bunch of mods.

I'm very mechanically sound, but not so much electrical other than I know it will shock you. I can follow directions though and have friends knowledgeable about electrical wiring that can help so any suggestions appreciated.

I have plenty of spare signals from all the bikes I've owned for track riding and such and/or taken off factory and changed so just looking to add them in the cheapest and easiest way possible.

Thanks

Easiest way in my opinion is to build your own kit.  Buy the signal lights of choice, a compatible flasher, a switch module (most will have signals, horn, and light HI/LO in the switch unit.  Run some wire and done.  Moding a S harness is way more work.

Just dont bother, ive been running about with no indicators and mirrors for over a year and ive never had any problems. If anything it makes you more aware of what's going on around you. You learn to read what other people will do and you learn to make more checks over you shoulder, more checks up the inside, making sure you have enough time to pull out..

Just because you have an indicator flashing doesn't mean someone will see it. You cant assume that because you are signalling left no one will cut you up or pull out in front of you, and you are led into a false sense of security because if you make that move expecting people to see you indicating then that's when something can happen. 

Indicators WERE a great idea, but there are so many inconsiderate, incompetent, ignorant drivers on the road now that i believe indicators do more harm than good.

• Like 1

I just got some $15 amber colored led strips from autozone. U can cut them to length. Wired them with a turn signal switch off eBay that was only $12 & a led flasher relay form autozone $5. Just ran my own wires to the relay & lights. Tap into the hot wire going to the ignition switch.