Sign in to follow this  

99 Kdx220 vs 04 crf 250 power

I just got rid of my crf and am thinking about a cheap kdx220. I loved the snappy powerful motor on the crf, the rest was just ok, not what I need. I want a more do it all type bike with lower and cheaper maintenance. The 2 stroke enduro comes to mind so what you guys think, will the kdx feel weak compared to the crf?

It has a bit less power. but the power may be better suited for your particular use.

Did you have a CRF250F or CRF250X??

What skill level are you?

What terrain do you mainly ride?

Id say I'm intermediate, or beginner I'm not awesome on a bike doing wicked jumps and stunts. I don't want to break any bones really. I have too many responsibilities to be layed up for too long, so I don't get too crazy, but I do want to keep up with my buddies. I've rode a bike for most of my life, I'm 30. I've never raced, been to a track a few times, may go back a few more and put around hit the jumps that suit me the rest I'll roll over.

I ride mostly trails, woods about 60/40 between open fields with wooded trails, then rugged trails with steep Hills that you may not make it up all the time. Very slow, tight not very cleared, lots of clutch work brake work, tipping over stalling out. The first place is close to my house. The second is a buddy so I ride my house a little more often but like my buddies place better.

I had the r model, but I wanted the x after I found out what it was, they are just out of my price range mostly.

A KDX is not going to do too well on a MX track with trail bike suspension, especially compared to what you have now.

For tight trails, the KDX would be a better option, I believe.

Id say I'm intermediate, or beginner I'm not awesome on a bike doing wicked jumps and stunts. I don't want to break any bones really. I have too many responsibilities to be layed up for too long, so I don't get too crazy, but I do want to keep up with my buddies. I've rode a bike for most of my life, I'm 30. I've never raced, been to a track a few times, may go back a few more and put around hit the jumps that suit me the rest I'll roll over.

I ride mostly trails, woods about 60/40 between open fields with wooded trails, then rugged trails with steep Hills that you may not make it up all the time. Very slow, tight not very cleared, lots of clutch work brake work, tipping over stalling out. The first place is close to my house. The second is a buddy so I ride my house a little more often but like my buddies place better.

the kdx will suit that type of riding better. i'm from the land of drz400, and tried a crf twice on rolling double track, then snug single track, but not what I would call "tight" or "hard" singletrack. the crf was a great lightweight machine, really dug the handling, but the power was much too peaky for my needs. then i tried a kdx220 (gnarly pipe, loud arrester-something-or-other-fmf) and really dig it's tractor-like pulling, along with mid level power. i LOVE the handling, even if the suspension (on mine) is lacking for everything besides tight woods. the kdx is incredibly EASY TO RIDE in tight woods, like bouncing off a tree on the left bark buster, then right, then left, then nasty steep hill climb, then TIGHT single track again. i would ride my drz on the same trails, but not have as much FUN or have any energy left after a couple of hours. this bike, all day long, no issues. first kick, every single time. i'm a big kdx fan now. 

RIDE BOTH and decide for yourself. keep in mind every single bike is different, jetting and pipes make a huge difference on these machines too ;-)