Sign in to follow this  

2004 RMZ 250 won't start hot!

i have a 2004 RMZ 250 i bought a few months ago , and it just won't start when it is hot. It start first or second kick when the motor is cold and even after a few weeks of sitting it starts second kick, Just when i am riding trails and my group stops i have to stop and wait for my engine to cool down before we start going. A few of my other friends with 250's and 450's have this problem but some of them will start first kick hot or cold. i bought this bike and it is pretty much mint and the owner before me told me it had a recent full rebuild. No real motor work besides hot cams. i tried to get a new spark plug but that doesn't seem to change anything. the bike will bump start when it's hot but i don't really like doing that, not sure if it can hurt the bike? any suggestions on what i can check or do to make the bike start when hot? 

gonna state the obvious..... you are using the hot start lever?

i know with my bike (sxf250) it looooves to flood it'self when it's hot, no gas and hot start lever normally does it, if it's roll starting but not kick starting it may be your technique? 

dunno only my 2 cents, in no mechanic

can you explain how to use the hot start, there must be a trick to it I just can't get it to do anything and I've try'ed a few different ways ?

as far as i know, the hot start lever opens up your carb letting more air in and leaning out the fuel air mixture, so when it's cold you want a rich mix, hence the choke and a couple pulls on the accelerator, when it's hot, no gas and pull the hot start lever.

most bikes start differently so finding the right technique for your bike will be trial and error.

as far as the lever goes just pull it in as far as it will go and go from there.

try either short sharp kicks like 5-10 in a row or find top dead centre and kick it as hard as poss. dunno, if nothing seems to work try asking a mate to have a go and see if it's the way you're doing it, if all else fails it might be valve clearances or timing, so try your local bike shop.

Edited by mike williams nz