Sign in to follow this  

04 rmz 250 won't start when hot!

i have a 2004 RMZ 250 i bought a few months ago , and it just won't start when it is hot. It start first or second kick when the motor is cold and even after a few weeks of sitting it starts second kick, Just when i am riding trails and my group stops i have to stop and wait for my engine to cool down before we start going. A few of my other friends with 250's and 450's have this problem but some of them will start first kick hot or cold. i bought this bike and it is pretty much mint and the owner before me told me it had a recent full rebuild. No real motor work besides hot cams. i tried to get a new spark plug but that doesn't seem to change anything. the bike will bump start when it's hot but i don't really like doing that, not sure if it can hurt the bike? any suggestions on what i can check or do to make the bike start when hot? 

You are using your hot start right! Make sure it actuates freely. I had to clean and lube my hot start plunger on my 05.

how do I use the hot start? can't figure it out and I've try'ed a few different ways and nothing works! and I have about 3 mm of play in my hot start lever

And does anybody know a rough price on how much it is to get your valves shimmed? or is it something I can do?

how do I use the hot start? can't figure it out and I've try'ed a few different ways and nothing works! and I have about 3 mm of play in my hot start lever

Google it. I dont ride a 4T but I work on them a bunch. I think you just hold the lever down while you're kicking it hot. It supplies extra fuel for starting.

And does anybody know a rough price on how much it is to get your valves shimmed? or is it something I can do?

Its something you can do, its pretty simple. Look up some youtube tutorials. A valve shim kit is around $60, and if you plan on owning this bike for a long time, invest in one.

You need to check valve clearance,if not in spec see what size you have,then buy the size you need to get in spec.

You need to check valve clearance,if not in spec see what size you have,then buy the size you need to get in spec.

You could do that, but if one valve is 0'd out, hell have a huge guessing game.

Hey man I have a 04 to and it does the same thing but it's not valves it mite be I know mine I check it often and I can shim it go riding some single track first time I stop to take a break it takes a act of congress to get it fired back up but I can ride it around the house and it starts first kick every time it's just when I run single track I thank it's just that yr bike idk but I always push my hot start kick it bought 4 or 5 times then release and it usally comes alive after that let me know if you figure urs out that might be what is wrong with mine but like I said I don't thank it's your valves

Don't waste your money at a shop for the same price you can get a valve shim kit and feeler gauges and do it yourself forever it's really easy. Plus last time I had my valves adjusted at a shop they left a c clip off my cams.