Sign in to follow this  

2007 crf250r ticking problem in top end.

Hey i just bought a crf250r was runing rough and out of timing. Found cam chain tensioner was shot so replaced that and cam chain. But still ticks very loud on top end i have no clue what it is and valves were checked and are in good looking order. Help

Hi,i think i can help also own a 07 is the "ticking" when u kick her or when you riding?and also is it constant or every now and then?

It does it while running low rev high rev its there no matter what you do. Its a much louder tick then a normal crf iv got mates with crfs and never have problems with this noise. They tick but not as much as mine is.

Yeah the guy said timing and valves are all in order. It runs fine apart from the ticking.

Yeah the guy said timing and valves are all in order. It runs fine apart from the ticking.

I have a 2005 crf250r and it does the same exact thing, it has a really loud annoying low idle tick and if I give it just a little bit of gas it goes away. today, I shimmed the valves cuz I figured that was the problem, and that didn't help. My right side intake valve I was only able to fit a .001 feeler gauge in it and did all the math and shimmed it all up...barred the  engine over a few times...checked it again and it was still tight after adding the shim it needed I was like wtf! so we may have similar poblems or we may have different problems but you have a low and high idle noise,you may want to check the rocker arm bearing for your exhaust valves part# 14440-meb-671 I just found a guy on youtube with a 450r that had the same noise I do, but my noise is way louder lol so he posted the part# n shit so hopefully that helped and id appreciate any word on the noise you have experienced. Later

I too would like to know if anyone has solved this ticking noise?

I have a 2012 crf 250 with the same problem. It starts fine and runs great, but this ticking noise is making me paranoid it's going to grenade and cost loads. I'm positive it wasn't there when I bought it as I had a 04 450 that had this noise and would have noticed straight away.

I'm waiting for a manual to come before I look into it further, but if someone has had this issue and solved it PLEASE SHARE WITH US!!!!

I've got a loud ticking like noise. It is basically sounds like a loud valve chatter/tick that is consistent with rpm's. My valves are in spec and I have a manual cct. Perhaps steel valves make more noise?

This might be a stupid question, but I've heard a ticking noise like that coming from an exhaust leak where the header mates up to the head. Is the crush type exhaust gasket leaking?

Otherwise, I would pull the head off and do a thorough inspection..

My two cents.

This might be a stupid question, but I've heard a ticking noise like that coming from an exhaust leak where the header mates up to the head. Is the crush type exhaust gasket leaking?

My two cents.

I have read other people mention this before so I'll look in to it. My manual should be back today, fingers crossed.

Thanks

• Like 1

My two cents.

I've just ordered this, so I'm wondering if it's the right one. It didn't cost much so I thought I'd change it anyway

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410347548.791934.jpg

The Honda part number that I show for the gasket is...

18291-MM5-860

I'm not able to verify if the one you ordered is correct or not.

• Like 1

If the exhaust is not leaking, I'd be tearing the cyl. off, could be piston slap, rod brg. or cam chain guides.

how would you diagnose any of those three?

how would you diagnose any of those three?

With tools like micrometers,feeler gauges, dial indicators and the naked eye.

Service manual has all the spec.

Edited by bucket list

If it's rod bearings, would there be metal shavings in the oil filter? As for piston slap would you measure ring gaps.

Yes, there will be gold looking flakes in the oil, and piston to cyl. clearance runs .001" to .002" with a service limit of .0033" . But you really should have the service manual and follow all of the many different measurements for rod piston and cyl. with good micrometers and such.

Edited by bucket list