Sign in to follow this  

Some help with valves

Hi guys just signed up so i`m new be gentle lol

I`ve spent some hours trying to sort out and research my problem but cant seem to find good advise so if someone could help or give advise plz do

I own a 2007 honda crf 250 r in very good condition and i keep her that way anyway my problem is the bike is very hard to cold start but starts easy when hot normally within 2 or so kicks

so i decided to check the valve clearance just encase and as a general inspection of things.Now my exhaust side is spot on spec but my intake side i cant measure because my feeler gauge doesn't want to slide in so this is telling me the intake is way to tight, now my actual question is if i cant measure the clearance how am i to determine the shim i should get...or should i take the big ouch and replace valves and re seat?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise 

ps. i am mechanical minded and able so getting technical is okey ;) 

I`ve spent some hours trying to sort out and research my problem but cant seem to find good advise so if someone could help or give advise plz do

I own a 2007 honda crf 250 r in very good condition and i keep her that way anyway my problem is the bike is very hard to cold start but starts easy when hot normally within 2 or so kicks

so i decided to check the valve clearance just encase and as a general inspection of things.Now my exhaust side is spot on spec but my intake side i cant measure because my feeler gauge doesn't want to slide in so this is telling me the intake is way to tight, now my actual question is if i cant measure the clearance how am i to determine the shim i should get...or should i take the big ouch and replace valves and re seat?

Hi I'm cas you should join team tt and speak to a guy who calls himself chokey.

He dam near knows everything about everything he's a very smart man.

If you have a int valve that has no clearance there isnt any sure way to know exactly what size shim to install to get the correct clearance the first try.

I usually remove and measure the shim and just reduce the shim size by .004 -.007" and after re installing the cam and re measuring you should be close and maybe even at the clearance spec you want, but often you need to make a final adjustment from that point to get to the exact clearance spec you want.

Just in case you havent seen this yet here is a link that might help you make the valve adjustment.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/151755-how-to-check-and-adjust-the-valves-on-your-250-wpics/

BTW welcome to TT!

• Like 2

If your shims are metric and your feeler gauges are standard like mine are just go by the rule of thumb .05mm = 2 thousandths. So if you can't fit the a .002" feeler gauge try going with a shim that is .10mm smaller that way you will be increasing your clearance by 4 thousandths. Since the spec is .004-.006" for the intake that should put you pretty close

Just a fyi if your intakes have no clearance it's time for a valve job... you can adjust them but it won't be long before they tighten up again.

If your shims are metric and your feeler gauges are standard like mine are just go by the rule of thumb .05mm = 2 thousandths. So if you can't fit the a .002" feeler gauge try going with a shim that is .10mm smaller that way you will be increasing your clearance by 4 thousandths. Since the spec is .004-.006" for the intake that should put you pretty close

Just a fyi if your intakes have no clearance it's time for a valve job... you can adjust them but it won't be long before they tighten up again. 

thanks i think ill go by this makes sense the only problem with this all is i have to go buy the shims and can turn our to a expensive exercise buying the whole time to get the right clearance they charge us a fortune over here for parts  :cry: ...oh the clearance on my bike is 0.12mm i think thats 0.05'' our feeler gauge for some reason doesn't go smaller than that so ill have to go buy a special one maybe?

i was thinking it was time for a valve job but i had a chat to the previous owner he had the head done professionally at Honda not more than 12 hours ago and i have not been abusing the bike i never pin it to be honest im a very passive rider not comp,he gave me the receipt of what was done and it was a full on top end job....

go buy feeler gauges that go by the thousandths and don't skip numbers... .004 is still in spec

also you can get a hotcam shims kit with just about every shim imagineable for 90 bucks. Only thing about those is they go in .05mm/.002" increments while you can get them from honda in .025mm increments