Sign in to follow this  

Pit Beirer interview – Part II Husqvarna

http://www.mxlarge.com/2014/08/07/pit-beirer-interview-part-ii/

Pit Beirer interview – Part II

Earlier in the week we spoke with KTM Sports manager Pit Beirer about the progress KTM are making in the sport and also the loss of Ken Roczen. Today we talk about the Husqvarna side of the story and also some motoGP and Beirer’s feeling about how the MXGP series is run.

MXLarge: Pit, we all knew that Husqvarna would be in good hands when they were picked up by KTM. Can you explain how the first months have gone with the brand?

Beirer: The first half of the year we sold more Husqvarna’s than they had sold in the last few years. The brand has taken off fantastic and we expected something good, we thought the brand is like a little diamond, but it’s gone crazy and way better than we expected. There is a head of motorsport in place at Husqvarna, so it isn’t up to me to speak about their strategy plan, but I can say it is growing like we expected in the racing side.

MXLarge: Husky obviously don’t have the same success as KTM in the racing results. What is the next step to get closer to what KTM are doing results wise?

Beirer: As you mentioned they do not have the same results as KTM, but we also didn’t have overnight success and we said we wanted to have a natural growth with the brand. We also don’t want to cut the KTM show and have 50% in KTM and 50% in Husqvarna. We have a responsibility to have KTM strong and have Husqvarna growing step by step. We will live the same steps we made with KTM, signing young riders, that is why Husqvarna already has the mini-bikes and we will take riders from that level. We don’t want to take Cairoli and Herlings to Husqvarna and take over that way, we want to take the riders that are in the paddock and grow that way. So the plan is to have good riders in the Husqvarna team and also work on the junior program. We are not unhappy how it is going. We found great partners with Jacky Martens, Antti Pyrhonen and we also have good partners in Enduro and our American plans are now already up and running so it is growing. We must not win with Husqvarna overnight, we need to grow at a normal rate.

MXLarge: Whenever I speak to you it is easy to see your passion for the sport. Is that something that just keeps burning inside, from when you were also a racer?

Beirer: I would like to keep the same rules I had for my racing career. When I raced I said to myself if I wake up one morning and don’t have the desire to be world champion, then I stop. If the sport becomes too dangerous or takes too much of my private life, but the dream was there until my accident. I only want to do this work if I am 100% committed. As long as all the riders all around the world think that this guy is pushing for us. I have been a racer and I don’t want to be a manager who is just collecting the money and sitting in the VIP tents and doesn’t know what is happening in the races. I never want to be one of these guys. Of course I can’t give everything the support I want to, and that is the part I hate, because I lose a little knowledge of the steering of the whole team. I like looking over everything in America and in Europe, because I will always fight for the racing in our company. Back to your question I will only do this job as long as we are winning and if that fire burns out, then I would stop, but that fire is still burning.

MXLarge: When I listen to your goals at KTM they seem very similar to the goals of Giuseppe Luongo for the Grand Prix series. Would you agree?

Beirer: I mean, I know there are critics in our work or Youthstreams work, but as a rider I already understood Giuseppes , and what his goal was and where he wants to bring this sport, and many times we had the same ideas. It isn’t easy in the world and not everybody is perfect, but the pyramid is what you need in anything, be it any type of business. Business has to go like that, because without the base it won’t work. My aim when I started at KTM was not to sign up the biggest star, our part of the pyramid was to get a good shop to work, a good truck, perfect people for the team, build the bike, build up young riders and have the champion at the end. Every discipline we go to we are having success, because we first do our homework and the goal is always to take three years, but if you don’t build the nice basement you won’t have the penthouse.

MXLarge: You travel a lot and attend a lot of different motorcycle events. Obviously motocross you know, but what makes events do you get really excited about?

Beirer: It was exciting getting into MotoGP. In motocross I know all the important people in the paddock, and I know how it all works, but going to MotoGP was new and exciting. Of course motocross is home for me. In MotoGP I had to learn and listen and make new contacts. Even there we are having success, but it’s a big challenge and I always like to learn and find out something special. Now we go into the MotoGP class and that is another challenge. I like all forms of motorsport, because all the key people have the same passion for success, they are ready to put in the whole effort, and if you talk to the guys in the road racing paddock they are similar to the motocross guys. It is so exciting to work with people who want a couple of horsepower extra than average, and that is what keeps my fire burning.

Edited by HuskyRips

If what Beirer said is true (Beirer: The first half of the year we sold more Husqvarna’s than they had sold in the last few years. The brand has taken off fantastic and we expected something good, we thought the brand is like a little diamond, but it’s gone crazy and way better than we expected. ) then KTM should really look at their endure models line ups. Since these two brands, loosely speaking are so very close in componentry is it the color, combined parts or just the name that sells???? What will happen if KTM releases the same bike in orange?