Sign in to follow this  

Broken Back, Worsened by GPX?

Was out racing Sunday (8/3/14) when the throttle on the CR500 got stuck wide open. The bike looped out, sent me HARD on my back, I rotated forwards onto my right temple, and then rotated forwards HARD on my back again. I did walk off the track, to me the pain felt like it was muscular (all of the muscles in my back were extremely swollen). Ended up not going to the Hospital until Tuesday; when I noticed the pain was similar to the pain I felt when I fractured my left tibia last year. (Been in the hospital since then).

We took X-Rays, CT scan and an MRI. Found out my T-4 was broken, and that I fractured T-2, 3, and 5. Had surgery two nights ago (x-ray and crash video below). Needless to say, I'm done for the rest of the season.

My biggest and only question; was the injury worsened by my Leatt GPX 5.5 neckbrace? All of the injured vertebrae are right where the thoracic strut sits, which is making wonder whether or not the neckbrace had an effect in the injury.I have had absolutely no neck or head pain. My head didn't even feel like it hit the ground in the crash! No doubt the brace and helmet did their job there. Please feel free to ask any questions, and chastise me for not going to the ER sooner 

Hardware1_zps75c074ff.jpg

That's something I would actually submit to Leatt, I'm sure they appreciate any kind of feed back on their product. It's not really a complaint against them since technically their product did it's job. But it's scenarios like yours that help them in the R&D department. It's hard to simulate those types of impacts in the lab without actually throwing a real person off a bike at high speed.

Any feedback on this forum is just gonna be uneducated speculation, which is usually pretty fun and entertaining. But that's my suggestion if you really want answers or what not is to discuss it directly with someone at Leatt, I'm sure they'll have a rep or something that would be happy to work with you and gather information.

• Like 2

another way to think about it is was the neck saved by the Leatt?   I know its been mentioned that the thoracic strut is supposed to give way before a spine injury threshold, but who's to say?  I like the idea of the fusion 2.0, and the soon to be released adult version.

Sorry to hear this.

You're very lucky the way you got up didn't do more damage.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Was out racing Sunday (8/3/14) when the throttle on the CR500 got stuck wide open. The bike looped out, sent me HARD on my back, I rotated forwards onto my right temple, and then rotated forwards HARD on my back again. I did walk off the track, to me the pain felt like it was muscular (all of the muscles in my back were extremely swollen). Ended up not going to the Hospital until Tuesday; when I noticed the pain was similar to the pain I felt when I fractured my left tibia last year. (Been in the hospital since then).

We took X-Rays, CT scan and an MRI. Found out my T-4 was broken, and that I fractured T-2, 3, and 5. Had surgery two nights ago (x-ray and crash video below). Needless to say, I'm done for the rest of the season.

My biggest and only question; was the injury worsened by my Leatt GPX 5.5 neckbrace? All of the injured vertebrae are right where the thoracic strut sits, which is making wonder whether or not the neckbrace had an effect in the injury.I have had absolutely no neck or head pain. My head didn't even feel like it hit the ground in the crash! No doubt the brace and helmet did their job there. Please feel free to ask any questions, and chastise me for not going to the ER sooner 

Buy an atlas cause that's the only reason I didn't buy the leatt

The TI rods are permanent i assume? I'm recovering from l4-l5 spinal fusion now 4month out of surgery. Was rough for first couple months but feel pretty strong now. You should heal up good just have to do alot of strength training probably get some special gearing to protect where the rods are.

Can't tell if your neck brace really had anything to do with the fractured vertabrea. Probably if ur gut sense tells u it did. But would it have been worse with-out the neck brace? Probably something else worse could have happened and u took the lesser of the two evils. Whatever happened, happened. Nothing you can do now but learn and ride another day. Good luck with ur recovery.

The TI rods are permanent i assume? I'm recovering from l4-l5 spinal fusion now 4month out of surgery. Was rough for first couple months but feel pretty strong now. You should heal up good just have to do alot of strength training probably get some special gearing to protect where the rods are.

Can't tell if your neck brace really had anything to do with the fractured vertabrea. Probably if ur gut sense tells u it did. But would it have been worse with-out the neck brace? Probably something else worse could have happened and u took the lesser of the two evils. Whatever happened, happened. Nothing you can do now but learn and ride another day. Good luck with ur recovery.

Yep, the hardware is permanent.

I'm not really sure if it had anything to do with the fractures either, I'm just curious if it actually did or not. It certainly helped my neck in the crash though

Amazing how much instant power u get out of 500 2t. Widow makers. End you quick. My kx5 is more controllable. Nothing like the kx250 or my late cr250. The cr5's i've ridden especially the older model's were snappy as the 250 just twice the power. Very powerful very dangerous.

• Like 1

I've wondered about this possibility since Grabbo's wreck. I've seen in other articles that the rider's are breaking the same vertebrae. I don't know if Grabbo was wearing a brace or not but it seems a lot of hardcore desert racers and maybe organizers use them or require them. No one is going to fall off a bike in exactly the same way in a repeatable fashion. There are too many variables. Helmet shape could even be a factor. I agree about sending to your brace's manufacturer. BUT, I'm not sure they would do anything. If they didn't pick up the defect in the large number of years they've been available I think customers would lose faith and the law suits in the US (there would be some) would probably put them out of business within a year. They aren't going to say, "Oh sorry, we missed that. Our bad." My $.02

It did not, but all of the adjustment tabs popped loose  :thinking:

Can you share any more details on how the vertebrae were fractured/broken?  

And on the initial loop-out, did you say you landed flat on your back?  Looked like you slid on your butt for a short time, then transitioned into a lawn dart type of position (face on the ground, legs in the air above you), then onto your back again.  

Can you share any more details on how the vertebrae were fractured/broken?  

And on the initial loop-out, did you say you landed flat on your back?  Looked like you slid on your butt for a short time, then transitioned into a lawn dart type of position (face on the ground, legs in the air above you), then onto your back again.  

It was on a down-hill when I initially looped-out; so I did land flat on my back. You are correct with the following impacts.

The Leatt is designed to protect the neck and the vulnerable spinal cord.

It is not designed to protect against a T-spine fracture.

A T spine fracture without damage to the spinal cord, even if it requires a spinal fusion is just fun and games compared to sittingin a chair for the rest of your life with a tube permanently in your pecker.

The Leatt is designed to protect the neck and the vulnerable spinal cord.

It is not designed to protect against a T-spine fracture.

I got that part  :thumbsup:  I just wonder if how I landed on the brace helped or hurt (or if anything at all) by back in the crash

Edited by DirtRider500R