Sign in to follow this  

How is does the FI 250F start after crashing

Would love a 2014 YZF250 for offroad racing.  However I still have bad memories of starting my 2006 YZF250 after cartwheeling the bike or crashing it when it's hot.

Soooooo how easy is it to light up the YZF post crash?  1 or 2 kicks or start cursing, praying and sweating hard as your 7 kicks into it?

I'm hoping kickstarting a FI is worlds easier in terms of starting hot and crashed than a carbed bike.....but not sure.

Fortunately, I haven't cartwheeled mine yet, but I can say that the 14 starts easier than my 08 did after a good spill.  It's not perfect though.  It helps a whole bunch to find TDC before you kick it.  So during a race, it will take some patience to kick it over slowly.  

We ride at a wide range of altitudes and temperatures in a single day here in CO.  I've found that at under 10,000 feet (3000m) elevation it starts first kick almost every time if you find TDC.  Over 10,000 ft it can be finicky.  It's better, but not perfect.  

I've also found that different ignition maps can make a difference in how it starts.  For us, lower elevation is about 5000 feet (1500m).  I've found that a slightly advanced timing (+2) works better, but +3 is too much.  I've also got a Q4 pipe that restricts airflow so a leaner (-2) on the FI helps as well.  This may be more information than you needed.    

• Like 1

Thanks heaps for the info and no info is ever too much, especially pertinent detailed stuff.

So kicking it over first time as you say is that just starting and restarting or post fall?

So you lay the bike down on a rocky down hill, slide down and pick it up and get it to TDC.  Is it 1-2 kicks or 5 and more?

Thanks for the tips on timing changes and their effects.

I've crashed a couple times and every time it started right up within the first kick or two. Granted so did the 08 I owned before it.

Fortunately, I haven't cartwheeled mine yet, but I can say that the 14 starts easier than my 08 did after a good spill.  It's not perfect though.  It helps a whole bunch to find TDC before you kick it.  So during a race, it will take some patience to kick it over slowly.  

We ride at a wide range of altitudes and temperatures in a single day here in CO.  I've found that at under 10,000 feet (3000m) elevation it starts first kick almost every time if you find TDC. 

Can you clarify, is it starting 1st or 2nd kick after crashing (from TDC) or is it 3 or more kicks?

Can you clarify, is it starting 1st or 2nd kick after crashing (from TDC) or is it 3 or more kicks?

I haven't crashed hard yet so I can't tell how hard it would be to start in a bad tumble.  The toughest time I've had was after tipping down a steep hill (high side) and having the bike tipped downhill for 30 seconds or so.  It took about 7 kicks.  That was at 12,000 ft after a 2000 ft hill climb with the bike at the boiling point so take it for what it's worth.  

I've had a few good ones now on this bike one pinned in 4th broke a bone in my hand.......... It starts normally 2nd kick after a crash. As everyone else has said you must find TDC and relax i.e take your time. I'm at sea level the bike is a great starter however it needs a stronger kick than my sons 2010.

• Like 1