Sign in to follow this  

Gsxr750 in an 01 yz426 frame

Hey TT, I have quite the project right now. I am building an open class hillclimber for the 2015 season using a gsxr750 engine in a 426 frame. This is one hell of a project but it NEEDS to be done by march. Anyways, I need help as to certain aspects of this build....in other words any help is appreciated. My biggest concern as of right now is the gas tank to use. The 426 tank is ridiculously too big for the 20 seconds this bike will be running. And since the 426 frame has a frame rail running under the tank, I need something thatll fit on top of it. It also must be fairly small because of the large engine. I found a 2011 yz250f tank but im concerned that it wont sit on top of the frame rail. This is only one of many questions I have. Thanks for any help!

1407601158112.jpg

Tomorrow im cutting and grinding out the oil reservoir and cutting open the cradle portion of the frame and seeing what my motor mount situation will be. As for swingarm extensions, im designing them on the computer and cutting them out on the CNC.

you are probably going to end up chopping the bike quite a bit, building new mounts for a yz85 tank might be the way to go

Okay, thats no problem but ill have to make brackets to put either 250/450 pastics on it.

You could cut a horizontal section out of the tank and sort of shrink it height wise. Epoxy and silicone back together and it should be good.

You could cut a horizontal section out of the tank and sort of shrink it height wise. Epoxy and silicone back together and it should be good.

I had thought to try my hand at plastic welding.

Tomorrow im cutting and grinding out the oil reservoir and cutting open the cradle portion of the frame and seeing what my motor mount situation will be. As for swingarm extensions, im designing them on the computer and cutting them out on the CNC.

That's awesome man.. You should buck up, do the math in class and become an engineer... That is if your not one already. We need em bad!

That's awesome man.. You should buck up, do the math in class and become an engineer... That is if your not one already. We need em bad!

Thanks for the encouragement! And yeah, ill be heading into the Air Force in 9 months, have drawn two sets of house plans with to scale models, designed a full sized go kart, have drafted numerous components of industrial machinery, and am still a senior :D however, this project is important to me because I will finally be able to have a bike for the 700cc-open class. Thanks for any input guys, ill be posting frequently. I appreciate it!

I had thought to try my hand at plastic welding.

You don't need to weld it.

The easiest idea I didn't think of is if you use fier glass and epoxy. It would stick well if you scuff it up a bit and you can bridge whatever gap you want with it. Sand it after with 1000 or so and spray with preferably automotive grade paint, or blue engine paint if you can find it.

Spray paint would come off from the gas fumes.

You want a ttr 125/230 tank. They have the center mold for the backbone but do not drape down so far as to get in the way of the engine.

I hadnt thought of that! But then would I be forced to get the 230's seat? Or I might be able to fabricate a mount for it. I also might have to get a rubber spacer if the center mold doesnt fit the frame.

I hadnt thought of that! But then would I be forced to get the 230's seat? Or I might be able to fabricate a mount for it. I also might have to get a rubber spacer if the center mold doesnt fit the frame.

Possibly but it's not that much smaller than stock.

And maybe, if you want dimensions on the molding on the tank I've got a 230 in the garage now

Possibly but it's not that much smaller than stock.

And maybe, if you want dimensions on the molding on the tank I've got a 230 in the garage now

That would be awesome! All id need are the height and width of the center mold. Thanks! Im at work but im off in a few hours so ill compare asap.

That would be awesome! All id need are the height and width of the center mold. Thanks! Im at work but im off in a few hours so ill compare asap.

That's what I figured, yeah I'll grab them tomorrow morning. It's 10pm here and the girlfriends over haha, again no problem I'll grab the measurements with pics of the measurements as well

That's what I figured, yeah I'll grab them tomorrow morning. It's 10pm here and the girlfriends over haha, again no problem I'll grab the measurements with pics of the measurements as well

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help!

• Like 1

I was pretty wrong haha yes on the 230 tank it hugs the backbone, but not as much as one of the yz tanks

Okay, so I was also thinking something along the lines of a crf70 tank!

• Like 1

Just an update: yesterday I cut open the oil reservoir and basically got an idea as to what I would be up against. However, my wheel on the angle grinder got pinched, flexed, and exploded nearly cutting of a finger. Luckily I have all of my digits!

• Like 1