Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake light operating spring 1995 model

Can anybody tell me if mine is fitted properly ?  The switch is mounted on a frame tube above the pedals falcrum. It looks factory fitted and correct. There was a short spring connected to the foot pedal from the switch. The problem is that the spring is connected to the top of the pedal above the falcrum (the pivot point) of the pedal and when you apply the brake there is ] no downward movement.it only turns . I have a feeling this spring should be attached to the pedal somewhere else?? But there is nothing obvious.

I know about hydraulic switches but as my switch works and I have so much to do to the bike. I would like to use this switch if I can.

Any help appreciated

Marcus in England

What only turns, the spring or the switch? There should be a small loop welded to the top of the pedal arm about 1.5 inches forward for the pivot point.

There is a loop welded to the top of the pedal arm but it is above the pivot point so that it goes in a forward arc rather than downward.

This is how its supposed to be on a 250.

If you look closely in pic 1, theres an eyelet on the side of the swingarm just to the rear of the frame that the spring connects to.

Its shown in the schematic how the spring routes to the rear, not overhead.

If you want to keep the current switch mounting, you could drill a small hole in the brake lever arm near the top edge an inch and a half or so forward of the pivot point and just find a new spring to reach.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42

The eyelet on the swinging arm is for the brake lever return spring. I have this attached. I wlll have to look again at this and make some changes. Its just that I can't see how it ever worked before !  and I don't like drilling and messing with old bikes incase it ever needs to be restored as original but I may be able to weld a small forward extention to the lever if the frame allows.

Thanks again for your help Trailryder42

Its tough to find reference material for UK speced bikes. You say the switch and its mounting look factory. The little loop welded to the pedal looks factory too.

On some bikes, there's a special radius/guide welded to the frame that the switch spring runs in and the guide redirects pull in the direction needed.

• Like 1