Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cable slackens when riding.... Any ideas?

My clutch cable slackens off (gets looser) after riding the bike for a while, so I tighten the cable using the adjuster. Often, after a little more riding it goes too tight (almost making the clutch slip). Out on a ride I seem to be fiddling about with the clutch adjustment all the time!

I've changed the clutch cable and the clutch plates - the plates were quite worn......

It's still happening though!!

Does anybody have any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks in advance.

Replace the clutch cable or remove the clutch cable and check if the cable is catching on something

My clutch cable slackens off (gets looser) after riding the bike for a while, so I tighten the cable using the adjuster. Often, after a little more riding it goes too tight (almost making the clutch slip). Out on a ride I seem to be fiddling about with the clutch adjustment all the time!

I've changed the clutch cable and the clutch plates - the plates were quite worn......

It's still happening though!!

Does anybody have any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks in advance.

Barnet / KG and possibly other clutches are known to do that.  Go with OEM or Moose (DP) clutch.

Edited by billdirt1

Thanks guys for the responses.

The springs were within tolerance so I didnt replace them. The basket seemed fine, but that's a good thought, I will check again. I'll also check the clutch cable routing.

Will report back with an update......

Thanks again.

• Like 1