Sign in to follow this  

125 2t vs 250 2t vs 250 4t

First off i know ive written a few of these already but I'm just trying to find the absolute best bike for my needs. In a year or two im wanting to get into some actual racing (a lot of my friends have tracks in their backyards and we race). But I'm about 70% technical trails and the rest is flat ground in fields or on tracks. I would like to know which would suit me like pros/cons of each type of bike. I can handle any bike really because I have great throttle and clutch control and before my YZF I learned and still have my TT-R230 which is 250 lbs wet weight. So thats about the size of trail 450's. I already know stuff like 125 2t are bad for hill climbs specifically a YZ125 (which deters me away from these) but theyre super fun for tracks and fields. And a 250 2t are great for trails and stuff, specifically KTM's 250 exc. but I love the low thumper growl and theyre torque over a 2t. Or maybe just keep my yz250f for this stuff.. Idk i kindof want to try a 2 stroke now because I've heard theyre loads of fun! Just wondering which I should get for my situation and also my max spending $$$ is about $2000 so im good with 03-05ish models, etc. so I'm just really wondering which kind would suit my needs!

Yes just got be on pipe right before the hill

HA that's not going to happen on my trails.. I may be at a max of 5-10 MPH right before the big hills and on one you come up a creek bed not even lying when I say this, 4 feet of straight upness! Lol it's like hitting a wall so you have to go into it and gun it then there's a hill near straight up.

A 250 2t would probably suit you well, can lug all day if it's jetted correctly. On the KTMs you can change out a spring to change the "hit" of the powerband and there is also two different maps to choose from via a wire under the tank. I'm very happy with my 09.

Although for your budget I'm not sure if you could get an 07+ 250sx but I'd highly recommend saving up some more $$$ to get one, I love the bike.

Edited by nholden98

A 250 2t would probably suit you well, can lug all day if it's jetted correctly. On the KTMs you can change out a spring to change the "hit" of the powerband and there is also two different maps to choose from via a wire under the tank. I'm very happy with my 09.

Although for your budget I'm not sure if you could get an 07+ 250sx but I'd highly recommend saving up some more $$$ to get one, I love the bike.

the main one I was thinking was an 03ish KTM 250 exc. And what's the deal with the wire and spring? Edited by YZF_MX_rider

the main one I was thinking was an 03ish KTM 250 exc. And what's the deal with the wire and spring?

Not sure about the earlier bikes, but my bike (2009 250sx) has 3 different springs that can be interchanged that change how the power valve acts, which affects the hit of the powerband. Under the tank, there is a wire you can unplug that changes the ignition to a "soft" map that calms down the bike quite a lot.. Someone else may be able to explain it better than I can, I've only had the bike for a couple weeks. I only paid 2500 for mine.

Not sure about the earlier bikes, but my bike (2009 250sx) has 3 different springs that can be interchanged that change how the power valve acts, which affects the hit of the powerband. Under the tank, there is a wire you can unplug that changes the ignition to a "soft" map that calms down the bike quite a lot.. Someone else may be able to explain it better than I can, I've only had the bike for a couple weeks. I only paid 2500 for mine.

what would the kind of hit mean? Harder hit = more top end? lower hit = more down low? Also why would they put that wire there? Wouldn't you want more performance?

what would the kind of hit mean? Harder hit = more top end? lower hit = more down low? Also why would they put that wire there? Wouldn't you want more performance?

I haven't experimented with the different springs, but for example I wouldn't want the hard hitting characteristics of a 50hp motocross bike if I'm in slick single track, those are the situations you would want to use the springs/map that deliver an easier or less aggressive hit, it's not a loss in performance by any means... Makes the sx motor feel more like an exc or xc. Basically softer powerband=more traction and control.

I haven't experimented with the different springs, but for example I wouldn't want the hard hitting characteristics of a 50hp motocross bike if I'm in slick single track, those are the situations you would want to use the springs/map that deliver an easier or less aggressive hit, it's not a loss in performance by any means... Makes the sx motor feel more like an exc or xc. Basically softer powerband=more traction and control.

im looking for an exc.

The 125 will be fine man just when u get to the hill be in first get it Reving kinda high right before the hill then try to get in the power band and If u can't no big deal I have climbed hills in 3rd gear pretty steep to and it'll bog but then u down shift