Sign in to follow this  

Strange Fizzing/Rattling Sound After Wheelie Attempts in 2nd Gear - 2014 DRZ400sm 3000km

Hey everyone, as you know I have a new 2014 drz400sm with low KM, When i started this topic i had 2000km and never tried any clutch wheelies. I have been practicing and now have 3000km on my bike but after a day of riding out in some hardened dirt track trails on my way home and around the streets I was aggressively trying to get my wheelie up in 2nd gear as everyone has said you can no problem and I could not do it no matter what i tried (i have no problem at all getting 1st gear clutch wheelies right up to balance point so technique of using the clutch is right) so i was experimenting at different speeds 35km, 40km 45km at anything below 40km/h the wheel would barely come off the ground then the engine would feel like its lugging as it makes an awful sound and clugs back down. (never doing that again, sounded horrible for my engine   :thumbsdn: ) so at 40km/h I can get the wheelicon1.png up maybe 1 foot but cant get it to rise or even hold to chase it. So i continuously tried this... get up to 42km/h.. use one finger pull clutch in at the same time cranking the throttle back and releasing the clutch in one fluid motion (not holding it pulled in for any time) and no dice.. couldn't get it high enough and after aggressively trying i was tired and frustrated. I headed home, and after bout 20mins on the highway, i was around my neighbourhood and trying at it again, clutch pop no... clutch pop no... clutch pop no... damit...  :banghead:  **I should mention that in between the failed attempts i would go back to 1st gear and do a couple to make sure my technique was still right - I called it a night and wheeled my baby into the garage, got the hose out and sprayed her down cause i was out riding in dirt and was filthy, after that i dryed off the bike off with a towel..

:facepalm: PROBLEM STARTS ---> Next day i jump on to ride and i notice a rattling sound as i moved my left leg aside to listen to the engine, only left side was this heard, right side i could hear something that sounded off but not this rattling sound. the only way i have though to describe the sound is exactly like when a rattle snake shakes its tail.. or like a wick on a firework fizzing down. *I can only hear it when im in gear, any gear (1,2,3,4,5) and giving it gas or off the gas and going down a hill in gear i can still hear it. i can also hear it in Neutral when coasting (I get up to 2nd gear to get a decent speed, click it down to neutral have my hand off the throttle completely and could hear it clicking clearly.) i CANT hear it if i am stopped, clutch pulled in, and revving er up. cant hear it when im stopped and kick it in neutral and rev it up with clutch in and also with clutch out. So i cant hear it when the bike is sitting still. 

I drove by the local bike store and a mechanic was outside i asked him whatsup and he couldn't hear anything cause i had the bike stopped and he didnt have time to jump on and ride it. but he looked at the chain and said it was loose and dry and its probably the just cam shaft and to go tighten the chain n lube it up. so i did exactly that and the noise is still there  :cry:

Any ideas or thoughts on what this might be? *take note this is a brand new drz i bought 2 months ago and broke it in perfectly, pretty much been babyied untill the last 1000km which I rode pretty hard.

I will post a video from my phone in a second post.

:ride:

This is me getting to 50km/h then putting it in Neutral so the noise can be heard.

*Ignore first 18sec of the video, its my camara on my seat while i get the bike to speed.  

*Noise can be heard Starting at 0:20 secs in the video.

Have you tried removing the front counter shaft (sprocket) cover and putting the bike on a SECURE stand then with the engine off have a friend spin the tire? Look for the chain rubbing. Also check all the bolts in these areas :)

• Like 1

I will try that, thanks for the suggestion will let you know what I see

Everything is fine under the cover, i now know it has nothing to do with the chain or sprockets, i believe its the transmission or clutch, as it made an awful grinding sound when i tried the wheelie in 2nd gear at to low of a speed. i should also say that it can be hear on the right side as well but not as clearly.  :facepalm:

On a bright note, i got 10 more months of warranty under Suzuki so im not to worried, ill take a brand new bike  :goofy: