Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate limbo 14' 300xcw

I'm skid plate limbo, I have both the KTM plastic and AL ones here and not liking the coverage of either on this 14 300xcw. I was hoping that one o these would be good and I could ride tomorrow with less worry!

Do the AL ones really magnify to the noise a lot?

I'm thinking that the TMD (referred by Hezzdown) or maybe an AL by flatlands would offer better coverage.

Edited by helix66

These are the KTM hard parts plastic and AL.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407608876.899094.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407608950.408374.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407608999.897173.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407609045.330131.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407609059.780477.jpg

I'm thinking worst case to use the plastic, look for a better one and I could always sell it later on.

The emperor racing (formerly scorpion) aluminum skid plate is by far the best option on the market. Theyre based on of canada so it can be a bit pricey compared to some typical brands, but the mounting system, coverage, and how they hold up is better than anything ive seen.

Edited by motonack
  • Like 1

Do the AL ones really magnify the noise?

Not that I noticed.

The emperor racing (formerly scorpion) aluminum skid plate is by far the best option on the market. Theyre based on of canada so it can be a bit pricey compared to some typical brands, but the mounting system, coverage, and how they hold up is better than anything ive seen.

+1

• Like 1

I have a Unabiker skid plate on my 14. I love it, has great coverage, mounts easily, looks great. Not saying its the best, I'm not sure, but it is a very nice skid plate.

t700_x2_2f7c3502d04f1e00356fc0ad09cd3ee0

t700_x4_2f7c3502d04f1e00356fc0ad09cd3ee0

This is the one I got for my `14 300.... brother in law also has this one and loves it.  Little pricey but its beefy!!

Really like the TMD that I'm running.

IMG_20130929_144429.jpg

I have the plastic KTM one as well and like you didn't like the coverage.

I talked to them today, super cool guy. He's waiting on the next shipment.

That Emperor one looks pretty great for coverage. I don't think any of the others come close to it.

t700_x2_2f7c3502d04f1e00356fc0ad09cd3ee0

t700_x4_2f7c3502d04f1e00356fc0ad09cd3ee0

That looks like the most coverage I've seen so far. I'm really tempted to go that route.

• Like 1

That looks like the most coverage I've seen so far. I'm really tempted to go that route.

Just got mine from Canada last night.... will probably install it tonight!

• Like 1

I talked to them today, super cool guy. He's waiting on the next shipment.

That Emperor one looks pretty great for coverage. I don't think any of the others come close to it.

Hezzdown didn't show you the other side of his TMD.

Why are the logos on the emperor skid plate photo shopped out? Are we not supposed to know they used to have a scorpion on them or is it a picture you just found in the internet?

Why are the logos on the emperor skid plate photo shopped out? Are we not supposed to know they used to have a scorpion on them or is it a picture you just found in the internet?

I pulled these right from their site.  I think these were early production pictures and they didnt have the engraving made up yet on the product.

They used to be called Scorpion Racing.  Pirelli filed a trade mark infringement complaint and they were forced to change their name to Emperor Racing.  The photos have the old Scorpion Racing logo and name so they had to Photoshop that out as well.

http://www.emperorracing.com/Why_the_name_change_.html

I have had the KTM AL one on my 300xcw for almost 5000 miles. Not too noisy when fit snug.

It has been beaten on hard and is time for a new one. Deformed enough times that it no longer holds its shape for long and becomes loose on the bike.

Have heard good things about the plastic one but wouldn't risk it myself.