Sign in to follow this  

valve clearances- loose or tight?

So basically I bought a used head and put it in. Right intake was .007 (a tight .007) and left intake was .006. I put a .05mm larger shim in the right thinking it would put me at .005". Well I can't fit the .005" feeler gauge in. Can fit the .004" pretty loosely though. 

So should I put the original shim back in so it's just slightly looser than what honda calls for or keep it on the tight side?

Edited by imbackmkay

Tight is always better than loose. But if it gets difficult to start, check the clearances again. 0.004" loose is fine.

Tight is always better than loose. But if it gets difficult to start, check the clearances again. 0.004" loose is fine.

alright thanks. Think I should bother shimming the left intake to .004?  Ocd's kicking in with a .004 and .006 lol

Edited by imbackmkay

Depends on how motivated you are. I would, but you don't have to..

alright thanks. Think I should bother shimming the left intake to .004?  Ocd's kicking in with a .004 and .006 lol

okay thanks.

Running them tight prolongs valve life and is easier on the lifters, correct?

Not easier on the lifters, just slows the valve speed at the seats. More impact when doing this with very aggressive camshafts, but every little bit helps. Just keep intake tract clean.

Edited by Eddie8v