Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems with 2011 300 XCW

My bike will not kick over with the kick starter but, will start with the electric start.

I have approx. 45 hours on the bike. It hasn't been raced just trail riding. I changed the plug to a new one and there is no difference. The old plug had good color to it. My air filter is cleaned regularly. IMO I haven't ridden it hard enough to need  a top end job but, I'm new to two stroke dirt bikes. Will a compression test tell me if I need a top end job? Where do I start to narrow this down?

When it does start, it rides great and feels like it has good power. I don't hear any weird sounds.

The only thing that is a little bit different is it felt like something slipped when I tried to kick start it today but, it wasn't consistent.

Edited by GIXXERKELLY

I'll assume the bike WILL kick over with the kickstarter, but it doesn't start.  LOL  Sounds like your stator is going out.  Kickstarting doesn't spin the flywheel as fast as when e-starting and doesn't produce as much voltage through the stator to start the motor.

Is this whether its hot or cold?

Do you tune your engine to run an idle or no idle? May try turning it up a hair.

When's the last time the carb was cleaned? May try removing the air screw and cleaning that passage.

Test hillbillys theory by starting your kick from TDC. You maintain the most rotational speed from one TDC point to the next by starting your kick from TDC. Bring the engine to the compression point and leave some weight on the kicker, you feel pressure bleed off and it falls into a detent before the piston starts moving down again. Try starting your kick from that detent. Kick like you mean it.

Edited by Trailryder42