Sign in to follow this  

fmf turbine core 2 removing spark arrestor?

I ride a ktm 250exc (2 stroke) and I mostly trail ride and where I live (maine) they arent very strict about spark arrestors. The problem is my bike is jetted as perfect as I can get it, and I have minimal spooge (small line running down the silencer). My crank seals have been replaced and are good, and the jetting is nice and crisp. Im running an fmf fatty pipe with a fmf turbine core 2 silencer, and ive heard from alot of people that running a spark arrestor on a 2 stroke can cause spooge even with perfect jetting. My question is, is it possible to remove the spark arrestor (turbine?) from the inside of the silencer and run it that way without causing the bike to run weird? if not I may try to sell it and buy a powercore 2 silencer or just deal with the spooge. thanks.

I think the story about spark arrestors and spooge is related to screen type spark arrestors as the screens slowly plug and clog and affect getting, the turbine core is just that, a sort of turbine like area that adds come turbulence to the exhaust but doesn't have anything to clog like a screen.

Ive heard many mixed ideas about spooge and spark arrestors. but thats why I was just wondering if it was possible to pop the rivets out and remove the turbine spark arrestor and try it for one ride or two to see how it is, and if theres no change put the spark arrestor back in, just to see if the spark arrestor is the cause?

Ive heard many mixed ideas about spooge and spark arrestors. but thats why I was just wondering if it was possible to pop the rivets out and remove the turbine spark arrestor and try it for one ride or two to see how it is, and if theres no change put the spark arrestor back in, just to see if the spark arrestor is the cause?

You will not be able to remove the turbine type spark arrestors and put them back in. They're truly a ultra minimal restictive design an require 0 servicing. so they are not removable. If you want to try a silencer with no spark arrestor then find one and don't ruin a perfectly good usfs spark arrested muffler. 

Honestly the spark arrestor is not causing or hurting any spoog issues you're having. If your bike is jetted right and you've recently packed it then you won't have any spooge issues. And if you've only got a little spooge but the bike runs great then don't worry about it. I consider my bike jetted really well and I still get a little drizzle, I do repack the muffler a couple times a year to keep the noise down but that's just good maintenance anyway.

Edited by Squid_Racer
  • Like 2

A little spooge never hurt anything. If you are happy with the way the bike runs, don't worry about it.

Used non arrestor silencers are dirt cheap. Buy one and repack it with household insulation. Try one to see if your bike runs differently. I keep lots of silencers around for different bikes as I cycle them for re packing. I never notice much difference between silencers (even switching types), but you might. I also find the stock ktm silencers are of very high quality (compared with stock silencers on j bikes), and those are for sale all the time. In fact, if you see a ktm rider with a non stock silencer, ask them to sell you their stocker. They might just give it to you!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Spooge is rich jetting, usually the needle, nothing to do with a krizman spark arrestor

The oem silencer doesn't have a sparky, that's the only reason I bought the tc2.

I thought I read about the screen types clogging too, and they cost almost as much as the tc2.