Good chain lubricant?

I use Maxima Chain Wax.  It's parafin wax based, so it sprays on wet then dries to a waxy finish.  I've been using it for years with good success.  I don't know if it's the best lubricant or not, but it definitely does not fling off.  Well... it does come off, my chain is dry after a hard ride, but there's no chain lube stuck to anything!  And the overspray cleans right up with simple green, so if you make a mess just let it dry, spray with simple green and rise. 

A side benefit;  it's spectacular for preventing rust and corrosion on just about anything.  Spray it on wet and when it dries it does not attract dirt.  I use it on the boat trailer lug nuts, etc...  anything that's in the elements that I don't want to rust or get stuck. 

• Like 1

Not sure why people think WD-40 is a lubricant. It has never been marketed as one. It is a good product as a petroleum water repellant/dispersant/rust inhibitor. I do use it after I clean my bike/chain to get the water out.

I don't care for the chain wax. It leave a lot of residue and is hard to clean off the bike.

I do like Maxima Crystal Clear Chain Lube. It does a great job with little mess.

From their Web-Site Look at #2 I should have said, "Chain Lubricant." Use WD-40 To:

1. Lube a shovel. Spray WD-40 on a shovel, spading fork, hoe or garden trowel. The soil slides right off—especially helpful when digging in clay.

2. Clean tile. The spray removes spilled mascara, nail polish, paint and scuff marks from tile floors, and also help you wipe away grime from the grout lines. Clean up with soapy water.

3. Scrub stains from stainless steel sinks.

4. Unstick gum. A squirt makes it easier to pull gum out of carpet and even hair. It's better than cutting out the gum and leaving patchy carpet or a bad haircut.

5. Soften leather. Oil can help break in a stiff leather tool belt.

6. Free stuck LEGOs. Your kids will thank you.

7. Erase crayon. When crayon ends up on toys, flooring, furniture, painted walls, wallpaper, windows, doors, and television screens. Spray on WD-40 and wipe it off.

8. Prevent flowerpots from sticking when stacked together.

9. Get rid of rust. Spray and rub away rust from circular saw and hacksaw blades. It can also clean blades of tar and other gunk.

10. Remove goo. Unstick gooey residue from price tags, duct tape, and stickers.

But Don't Spray It On:

1. Door hinges. Sure, WD-40 will stop the squeaking, but it also attracts dust and dirt. Over time, you'll end up with ugly black streaks on your hinges.

2. Bike chains. WD-40 can cause dirt and dust to stick to a chain. Use bike-specific lubricants, which typically contain Teflon.

3. Paintball guns. WD-40 can melt the seals in the guns.

4. Locks. The spray can prematurely wear down the internal mechanisms, especially in the pin tumbler locks, in door locks and padlocks. Go for graphite powder.

5. iPods and iPads. WD-40 won't repair the Home button on these devices. In fact, the spray can cause the plastic to break down on the cover, and if some gets inside the electronics, it can damage plastic parts inside.

WD40 on an o-ring chain. Been using it for YEARS and it works well. For me the idea is to get the water off after a wash or wet ride and to also get the dirt off the chain by volume of WD40. The lube on an o-ring is inside and it doesnt need any other lube. A non o-ring chain does need a regular type of lube to penetrate inside the rollers.

I use Maxima Chain Wax. It's parafin wax based, so it sprays on wet then dries to a waxy finish. I've been using it for years with good success. I don't know if it's the best lubricant or not, but it definitely does not fling off. Well... it does come off, my chain is dry after a hard ride, but there's no chain lube stuck to anything! And the overspray cleans right up with simple green, so if you make a mess just let it dry, spray with simple green and rise.

A side benefit; it's spectacular for preventing rust and corrosion on just about anything. Spray it on wet and when it dries it does not attract dirt. I use it on the boat trailer lug nuts, etc... anything that's in the elements that I don't want to rust or get stuck.

+1 it's the best that I have used by far

The pins are in tubes called bushings, the rollers don't roll on the pins directly. I will try a link to an image, the lube here is green, the bushing is blue. The roller rides on the bushing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Uqrbgu5EeGvl3v9XFgWGwUL7oPv5JHQ0NO6wFGZv7xYoKyYbotpkgolOOc0ZQfVlKpLhFcvGuNaQ16IDC2CA9Gh8KX3-HQ=w300-h312-nc

Edited by sirthumpalot

I wash my bike when I come back from a ride and clean my chain with soapy water then WD40 it and then I lube it with cheap spray. This is what I am using now. I like it fine.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1937/4287/Bel-Ray-MC-2-Chain-Lube

I don't like wax. I think running straight W40 would be fine, but I take comfort in having lube there.

Edited by stanmerrell