Sign in to follow this  

Value opinions...

Sorry, I know these threads suck...but I was curious how much known hours on valves/ top end would sway your guys opinons if you were a buyer. I have an 07 YZ250F. Suspension was all recently re-done. Forks most recently with new bushings, SKF seals, oil, piston mod, etc. Set up for 175lb rider, blah blah. Same guy did my shock late last fall with a slight valve change. I did all new OEM valves with serdi 5 angle job last fall and cyl works 269 kit. Both have 18-20hrs on them. Anyhow, I would think the bike would be worth bout 2k or so right now. I have a Zstart pro in it...but I would likely pull that out first and sell separate. Has a 4.1C slip on. Aside from that its in generally good cond.

Mostly curious how much valves and such would help the resale. I stupidly dont have the receipts for all of it, but I believe I could produce them with a little effort. I just never get to ride anymore (one sat in last 7 weeks)...and feel like its stupid to have it sitting around depreciating even more. May be time to just hang the boots up.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Valves and suspension work is considered maintenance. Big bore and clutch add some value, but not 30% of what you paid for them. Best way to value a bike is KBB, or local cycle trader mag. Figure prices from there. Everyone thinks thier bike is worth more with new air in the tires. The key is finding a buyer who agrees.

I look at over all condition of a bike and base a price on typical selling prices where I am. It is the end of the summer and buyers are not as hungry.

Yea i am with you. I am well aware of time of the year conditions for selling/buying. I COULD just wait til next spring, hell by then the whole top end would probably only have another 6hrs tops on it by the time winter rolls around. Early August here is easily 2-3 months more of riding though...so its not the END of the year yet most of the time. I am really at that now or next year break point. Which was why I was debating it now. And I never expect to get money out of add-ons like clutches. That is why I figured I might as well throw the stock pressure plate and stuff back in it, sell the Rekluse for $250 give or take. IMO if i was buying an older bike....knowing the valves were recently done would be the #1. As I said, I stupidly didnt save every receipt, but I know I could contact those who did the work (head) or find the invoice for parts as needed. I really figured to put another season or 2 on this bike where "recent valves" wouldnt be recent haha. The recent loss of anyone I ride with has kind of expedited my thoughts to maybe just sell now.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

I had no idea how cheap these bikes were selling for. Ive got a pretty clean low use 07 my self i was looking to sell. Ive been getting offers like 1400 or trade for hood rat abused 125s. I might part this thing out. But even then theres so many bikes parted on ebay it seems rough even getting money that way, its an 07 and all i want is like 1900. Didnt realize was so low now a days. When i got started with riding 1500 bought you a pretty rough 125. Its like the line between clean bikes and crappy ones is extremely thin with fools paying 1300-1800 for beat bikes vs us struggling to get 1800 for really solid ones. Im at a loss here lol.

Anyway done rambling!

CAM00460.jpg

Edited by yz133rider

Hmm lol

I was serious about being interested in buying your bike if you do sell it. With many of the same mods that my bike has, it would make a good practice bike.The price would need to be reasonable for it to be worth the travel expenses to come up and get it.

When I shop for a bike I start by trying to find a bike with low hours, no major engine work & original plastics. This isn't always that easy when almost every bike on CL is listed w/ low hrs etc. Suspension mods are nice only if it matches my weight. Valve job goes either way - if the rest of the bike is clean it's a bonus, if the bike is kinda beat then the valve job means it might have a ton of use.

When I shop for a bike I start by trying to find a bike with low hours, no major engine work & original plastics. This isn't always that easy when almost every bike on CL is listed w/ low hrs etc. Suspension mods are nice only if it matches my weight. Valve job goes either way - if the rest of the bike is clean it's a bonus, if the bike is kinda beat then the valve job means it might have a ton of use.

Ya, but if the valves and top end literally have under 20hrs with all OEM valves, etc...and the chassis bearings for the most part have all been replaced within 10hrs, tires are 80+%, i mean...cosmetics always matter...but theyre kind of the least important thing, lol.

Bike with a fresh top end and valve job is more valuable in my opinion.  I did my son's 02 bike over Christmas / New Years, replaced top end, valves, brakes and did general maintenance and sold in spring.  I got a bunch of calls, was asking $1500.  Sold it to first guy who showed up.  We did negotiate some.  He got a great bike, I was happy, and another father / son team was ready to go ride.

Thing is, these are race bikes.  Some have had due dilligent maintenance, some have not.  You gotta be ready to replace the parts as needed and know: " that's part of the party if you want to play."

Ya, but if the valves and top end literally have under 20hrs with all OEM valves, etc...and the chassis bearings for the most part have all been replaced within 10hrs, tires are 80+%, i mean...cosmetics always matter...but theyre kind of the least important thing, lol.

Not judging your bike just a generalization of used bikes.