Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Big Smokey/West Fork Big Smokey Trails

Has anyone ridden these trails and if so is there major (or quasi) exposure? A youtube vid titled Hi Smokey Trail has some real exposure sections….Am guessing that "Hi Smokey Trail" and Big Smokey are the same trail?

No exposure on west fork @ least in my opinion. Big Smokey does have some exposure spots, rocks and decent creek crossings. Exposure is not extreme but there is some.

Big Smokey does have some high exposure areas, but nothing too extreme by Idaho standards.  Hi Smoky Trail is a section where you have the option of the high, exposed trail, or a low trail option, except you have to cross Big Smoky twice, not easy until late summer most years.   West Fork Big Smoky is mostly in the bottom of the canyon, except the last mile or so where it climb out onto some high exposure sections

avoid the lower half of big peak creek unless you possess expert skills or are just looking for a 5 mile carls diner section

avoid the lower half of big peak creek unless you possess expert skills or are just looking for a 5 mile carls diner section

Haha, my wife likes that section of trail, but I always give her a hand crossing the creek right at the bottom.

Regarding big smokey and west fork, neither really has much exposure by idaho standards. If you fall off, you are very unlikely to die (unlike some idaho trails where death or serious injury is a near-certainty in the event of a mishap). West fork used to have a slightly spooky section but they widened it out a couple years ago. I've ridden both trails with intermediate riders without any particular issues.

I have only ever ridden the hi-line, which looks intimidating on video but is actually pretty mellow trail.