New tire wobble

So I purchased a new tire for my wife's 230. I put the new tire on the rim and mounted it to the bike, before I was going to take the bike off the stand I spun the back tire and noticed a pretty good tire wobble. It was getting closer to the swing arm. So I figured my rim could be out of balance. I decided to remove the tire again, and put the rim on the bike and then put two plastic knives on each side of the swing arm, I know not very scientific, but seem to work. I could tell I was out of adjustment some. So I made some adjustments to the spokes and could spin the rim freely with the fork knives probably around 2m from the rim on both sides. So I figured I was good. I mount the tire on the rim to the bike and give it a spin. I still get the wobble, not as bad but definitely noticeable. I'm really puzzled because I know that rim spun fine and didn't have need any wobble.

Is it possible that I got a bad tire? Any other ideas?

Edited by RMK800

Tighten the screws on either side of the wheel holding it to the frame. Same happened with my front tire, then i tighten those two bolts and it doesn't wiggle (tighten until you can't anymore, a little plastic/rubber peice keeps it from making your wheel not spin so you can tighten it all you want!

It's all tightened up. I did make sure of that before I checked.

The tire is sucked in the rim a bit. You have to loosen the rim lock let the air out, put a little windex in the bead and add enough air to pop the bead out

Yep that did it. No more wobble. Thank you. This is something I'll pay more attention to when doing tire changes. I do have one more question, I tightened down the rim tire lock after getting the tire on the rim. I should waited until I have blown up the tube then tighten the rim lock down? Edited by RMK800

Yep that did it. No more wobble. Thank you. This is something I'll pay more attention to when doing tire changes. I do have one more question, I tightened down the rim tire lock after getting the tire on the rim. I should waited until I have blown up the tube then tighten the rim lock down?

Look how much higher that G is on this Picture then the previous one.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407680348.777237.jpg Edited by RMK800

Yep that did it. No more wobble. Thank you. This is something I'll pay more attention to when doing tire changes. I do have one more question, I tightened down the rim tire lock after getting the tire on the rim. I should waited until I have blown up the tube then tighten the rim lock down?

Yes typically you tighten down the rim lock after it's inflated. But it looks like you got it.

Usually, but not always, the tire will heat up and work it's way on the bead after you ride the bike a while.

Also if you place the tire in direct sun for an hour of so before mounting, it's a lot easier to get it mounted "on the bead"

• Like 1

Usually, but not always, the tire will heat up and work it's way on the bead after you ride the bike a while.

Also if you place the tire in direct sun for an hour of so before mounting, it's a lot easier to get it mounted "on the bead"

Yeah but my Michelin radial trails tire really doesn't fit the bead with a Excel rim. So I ride a wobbly joe. ? But I don't really feel it. :goofy:

I didn't want to take that risk and it's the wife's bike so she's pretty tame on it. Who knows if it would work it way down.

I can say how much smoother a ride it is without a wobbly tire ?