Sign in to follow this  

05 base gasket question

Ok new on here lots of great info. I have an 02 cr250 and I'm putting a new top end in it, and I've read a little about swapping in a 2005 base gasket and I got a couple questions for those who have done it.

1. Do I buy the whole top end gasket kit for a 2005 cr or buy the kit for my 02 and get just the base gasket for a 2005

2. Is this going to raise the compression too much for just 93 octane?

3. And finally some say its not a big increase, and some say it sucks. I can't afford to turn down the base of the cylinder and correct the squish so just looking for a cheap somewhat effective mod is this worth it? Would you do it again?

Thanks

Ok new on here lots of great info. I have an 02 cr250 and I'm putting a new top end in it, and I've read a little about swapping in a 2005 base gasket and I got a couple questions for those who have done it.

1. Do I buy the whole top end gasket kit for a 2005 cr or buy the kit for my 02 and get just the base gasket for a 2005

2. Is this going to raise the compression too much for just 93 octane?

3. And finally some say its not a big increase, and some say it sucks. I can't afford to turn down the base of the cylinder and correct the squish so just looking for a cheap somewhat effective mod is this worth it? Would you do it again?

Thanks

You just buy the 05 base gasket, the 05 has a different head than the 02 so you want the 02 head gasket.  It will not increase compression so much that you will have to run race gas but from the opinions given on this board, it really didn't make enough of a difference to notice, but it will not hurt anything to try it.  I have an 06 and the base gasket for the 05-07 is metal so you need to use hondabond or yamabond in order to seal the "seams" on the base so you don't get an air leak there. 

Okay good info I wonder if it helps stabilize the jetting a little cause it drops the squish clearance down anyone said anything about that? I'm still running the tmx unfortunately

If you want to not notice the tmx jetting issues push the lever by your left foot down one or two times and twist the throttle. Its an mx bike. Dont expect it preform awesome at low rpm. As for the 05+ base gasket, you can try it but dont expect a difference you will see in the seat of your pants. I tried it and went back to the stock gasket for my 03. 

Edited by Keith72

While there is some truth to the theory that twisting the throttle is going to clear the bike out and make it run better, you just never get the full benefit of the power of the bike if the jetting is off.  You are going to have a lack of power somewhere where the bike needs cleaned up.  IMO, the best money spent on the mikuni carbed Honda's is to throw it away and put a Keihin PWK airstriker carb in there.  It just seems from most posters here that no matter how clean they had the mikuni jetted, it seems to be finicky and need changes even with a small temp change during the day.  I am much more familiar with jetting the PWK carb so I never even messed with the mikuni and had a PWK on my 06 minutes after I had it in my garage. 

I'm not so concerned about the power (I traded my 400ex for this bike) i just want a little more consistency out of the jetting for now, but the real answer might just be the pwk