Sign in to follow this  

hoping its the starter clutch

A new to me Luxury model (that's what the L stands for in xr650l right?) decided to not start.  It would crank, but something seemed slightly off by the sound and feel, but I've only had it a couple of weeks.  

There was a nice bright spark, and I replaced the old plug since I was going to anyways, and a new cap.  But it just wouldn't start, or even try even with starting fluid.

So I was thinking maybe its something to do with the starter/starter clutch and rolled it down the driveway and it fired up and I rode it a minute, but it's a sketch driveway and the engine was stone cold and it stalled.

So tried again a few times, and eventually came to the conclusion it just simply will not turn over now, even in fifth gear.

It will however spin backwards making a loud gear spinning noise.  I figured out in only spins so far backwards, and then, it will actually move forward for a while. I've got it up on a stand now, and I can recreate all this by hand with it in gear and spinning the rear. Back 'till it stop and forwards until it stops.  Seems like there is a loud click when going backwards when it stops, no such noise going forward. Always the gear noise going backwards.

It doesn't seem like a total seizure. It does seem like part of the luxury starter system is locking up.  Anything similar happen to anyone?  I'm going to tear into it tomorrow assuming I don't get stuck working on something else.

Cheers,

M

The luxury thing is just a joke pertaining to the magic button.

And the magic button does make the start motor spin. At this point however, it will only do so if I've gone through the previously described sequence and I have it in gear and spin the wheel backwards until it refuses to spin any longer, about half a turn.  Then I can get short spin out of the starter.  It acts like I've spun the wheel forward with it in gear.  I can't spin it forward by hand, and have to spin it backwards.  Its clearly meeting some dreadful resistance. I'm wondering if I still have an engine, or is it some of part of the starter/clutch that's mucking it up. 

The luxury thing is just a joke pertaining to the magic button.

And the magic button does make the start motor spin. At this point however, it will only do so if I've gone through the previously described sequence and I have it in gear and spin the wheel backwards until it refuses to spin any longer, about half a turn.  Then I can get short spin out of the starter.  It acts like I've spun the wheel forward with it in gear.  I can't spin it forward by hand, and have to spin it backwards.  Its clearly meeting some dreadful resistance. I'm wondering if I still have an engine, or is it some of part of the starter/clutch that's mucking it up. 

Sorry to say but you might have BIG problems! Try this first if you can get it in N take spark plug out and on left side cover remove the center plug there will be a nut there on crankshaft. Take socket and see if you can turn motor over that way if not again BIG problems!