Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces?

I was talking to a guy who rode rode pro class for a couple years and he told me to get knee braces because even if you don't crash riding bikes will &%$#@! up your knees.  He's only in his 30's and has &%$#@!ed up knees,  but then again he was much faster than me and had a fair share of nasty crashes.What's everyone's thoughts on knee braces? Worth it?

I quit wearing mine due to them being cumbersome and due to people on this forum talking about broken femurs.

• Like 1

I quit wearing mine due to them being cumbersome and due to people on this forum talking about broken femurs.

What type of braces did you have?

And yeah the dude I talked to mentioned the femur thing but made a valid point by saying your femur will heal to be good as new, a messed up knee most likely won't.

Edited by imbackmkay

If/when I wad up my knees, I may upgrade to knee braces.

If i'm going to break something right now, I'd rather break the knee than the femur.  The risk of severing the femoral artery and bleeding internally is what scares me more than the recovery time.

If my knees were jacked up/compromised to begin with, I'd support them with braces to minimize further damage to an already weakened joint.

I've been in some pretty interesting wrecks, snow and dirt, and my knees have been well protected so far with the knee guards I wear (Thor Force). 

I won't ride without mine. I have good knees, and my braces have easily saved me a couple surgeries. I'd rather limp around for a few days than go under the knife. To each their own.

• Like 1

What type of braces did you have?

And yeah the dude I talked to mentioned the femur thing but made a valid point by saying your femur will heal to be good as new, a messed up knee most likely won't.

Evs carbon fiber. One of my concerns was bleeding to death. I had a hard time keeping the evs braces comfortable and in position. I wore the long thin socks to keep my hairy legs from getting pinched. Then the socks would bunch up in the back of my knee limiting movement. So I quit wearing them.

I broke my knee in 99.

So I know it happens.

I won't wear a brace because of the risk of breaking your femur.

This is the reality. Brace everything up you will break above the brace.

I broke my knee in 99.

So I know it happens.

I won't wear a brace because of the risk of breaking your femur.

This is the reality. Brace everything up you will break above the brace.

I think that is an oversimplification. While there are too many factors(body type, riding style, how often you ride) too make a universal statement for everyone I wish I would have never rode without knee braces. I have jacked knee's and have never broke a bone in my life.

The risk of me breaking my femur severing my artery and bleeding to death is well worth the risk of protecting my knee's. While I acknowledge its a possibility can you even name one example of it happening? I can sure name a lot dudes with bad knees from riding. Everything is a game of odds pick accordingly.

If you ride occasionally, and at a less then fast pace, and you have tree trunk muscular legs, but the bone density of Trey canard...maybe hold off on the knee braces.

I think that is an oversimplification. While there are too many factors(body type, riding style, how often you ride) too make a universal statement for everyone I wish I would have never rode without knee braces. I have jacked knee's and have never broke a bone in my life.

The risk of me breaking my femur severing my artery and bleeding to death is well worth the risk of protecting my knee's. While I acknowledge its a possibility can you even name one example of it happening? I can sure name a lot dudes with bad knees from riding. Everything is a game of odds pick accordingly.

If you ride occasionally, and at a less then fast pace, and you have tree trunk muscular legs, but the bone density of Trey canard...maybe hold off on the knee braces.

Its just my opinion.

I was told not to wear them unless you have knee problems. They are a bit like back supports. They will support joints/bones but will let the muscle in that area weaken due to lack of use. That came from a reputable sports physio. And of course there have been hyper-extended knees while wearing braces proving they are far from infallible.

I was told not to wear them unless you have knee problems. They are a bit like back supports. They will support joints/bones but will let the muscle in that area weaken due to lack of use. That came from a reputable sports physio. And of course there have been hyper-extended knees while wearing braces proving they are far from infallible.

This^^^^

Very true, if you have healthy knees wearing braces will only make them weaker.

And then you will need to wear braces :goofy:  

This^^^^

Very true, if you have healthy knees wearing braces will only make them weaker.

And then you will need to wear braces :goofy:

IMO that's total BS! How many hours a week are you on the bike wearing knee braces? In comparison to the total hours in a 7 day week, very little. If knee braces are gonna weaken your knees from maybe a few hours a week of riding or racing, then you better hit the gym or start jogging.

• Like 4

IMO, total medical bs. Good luck with your knees.

• Like 1

Search medical studies on knee braces. Last time I did it said they protect compromised (injured) knees only.

Look it up.

Kinda like asking your doctor what he thinks about fixing your bike to ask medical stuff to others.

Edited by DR.billZ

IMO that's total BS! How many hours a week are you on the bike wearing knee braces? In comparison to the total hours in a 7 day week, very little. If knee braces are gonna weaken your knees from maybe a few hours a week of riding or racing, then you better hit the gym or start jogging.

Maybe with an occasionally worn knee brace weakening the muscles may not occur but it will prevent your knee joint and surrounding muscles from adapting to the demand you place on them. Most common knee complaints can be put down to weak quads putting the strain on the knee joint instead of the muscle.

And your opinion comes from....

Real life experience is where it comes from. The OP was asking if he should ride with knee braces. The answer is yes, if you can afford them. Only an idiot would wait till their knees are wasted, then decide to get them. They'll wish they had been wearing them before you need them. If you need braces to function when your not on a bike in daily life, then you shouldn't be getting on a bike.

Edited by j368

Most common knee complaints can be put down to weak quads putting the strain on the knee joint instead of the muscle.

Or Arthritis. 

Riding a bicycle will help strengthen your knees, running, especially on uneven surfaces (like sidewalks that dip, fields etc.) will most likely cause problems, such as arthritis.

I was a "runner" and Down Hill skier in my younger days and have payed for it since.

I agree that if you have strong and/or healthy legs and knees now a proper exercise routine is what you want for your knees. But for "old guys" a proper brace isn't a terrible idea. Proper being a brace that helps where your muscular/skeletal area could use the support, not just an "off the shelf" brace.

Walking around with bad knees sucks @$$! I Would rather wear a cast for MONTHS!

• Like 1

Maybe with an occasionally worn knee brace weakening the muscles may not occur but it will prevent your knee joint and surrounding muscles from adapting to the demand you place on them. Most common knee complaints can be put down to weak quads putting the strain on the knee joint instead of the muscle.

Might as well not wear gloves, boots, goggles etc. Hell forget the helmet too.

• Like 2

The land of OZ of course. Its the tin man. :p

• Like 1