Sign in to follow this  

XR200R snapped gear selector shaft

Friend decided to ride my XR200 without my permission, in the process he snapped the gear selector shaft through the threads. Whats the procedure on changing the shaft and where can I buy the shaft OEM new? Ive looked around and I cant find instructions on changing out the shaft and how labor intensive it is. Needless to say, hes definitely paying for it. 

Friend decided to ride my XR200 without my permission, in the process he snapped the gear selector shaft through the threads. Whats the procedure on changing the shaft and where can I buy the shaft OEM new? Ive looked around and I cant find instructions on changing out the shaft and how labor intensive it is. Needless to say, hes definitely paying for it. 

:thinking: "Through the threads".................what threads?  Do you mean splines by chance..........? :confused:

Old School Al

Yes yes the splines. What the actual shifter sits on.

Right where the shifter slides on and clamps down on, it snapped.

Ok............had me wondering! ;)  You pull the right side cover to access it.  First thing you want to do is get a Honda manual so you know what's going on. :thumbsup:  

Old School Al

Ok............had me wondering! ;) You pull the right side cover to access it. First thing you want to do is get a Honda manual so you know what's going on. :thumbsup:

Old School Al

Right? Even though it's on the left?

The shaft inserts from the right side, but it is not as simple as it sounds. I'd also suggest replacing the shaft seal at the same time, just one more part to buy.

I second OSA's recommendation regarding a manual, lots on ebay or Amazon.  The Honda Service Manual is the best for the engine.

The shaft inserts from the right side, but it is not as simple as it sounds. I'd also suggest replacing the shaft seal at the same time, just one more part to buy.

I second OSA's recommendation regarding a manual, lots on ebay or Amazon.  The Honda Service Manual is the best for the engine.

Yes the shaft seal does leak. How long do you think it takes to do it? Any special tools? So I just start stripping the clutch side of the motor until I can take out the shaft from the right? 

You have a factory honda OEM shop manual, correct? If not order one from E Bay first.

It will answer most of your questions for you, has photos, and will make the job quite simple if your mechanically inclined, AND have quality metric tools.

(Like a torque wrench for instance)

The OEM manual will point out special tools required. You can order those on E bay also.

Take your time, clean all parts, carefully remove old gaskets, clean the oil filter well, use new gaskets with out any sealer.

Please do not "strip" anything on the bike.....

If you do a good job and do it correctly, it should last many years.

Edited by adnohguy