It's Too Fat....Lol

My 13 and 14 Sx's are a little too fat from the factory, but I'm fast enough and stay on the pipe it's not a problem at speed.

But I figured I would at least lean at out the pilot a little on my 14, for a little crisper throttle response.  I pulled out the 42 pilot, and installed a 40.  Fired it up and quietly blipped the throttle a couple of times, and shut it off. 

Went to the track to ride the crisper, leaner beast.  Fired it up and idle to the track entrance.  As soon as I rolled on the throttle, it fell flat on it face.  I let off of the throttle, and it came back to an idle.  I noticed though, when it fell on it's face, it wasn't lean, it was richer than ten foot up a bulls rear. 

So I went back to the pits, and rotated the carburetor on its side.  Pulled the carb plug and looked up in the bowl.  Something didn't look right, but couldn't put my finger on it.  Finally I realized my main jet was missing lol.  I had pulled it to look at it when I changed the pilot, and forgot to put it back in.  Talk about a fat mixture; it was smoking like a 3rd time divorcee on a work break. 

My buddy is not going to let this one go for a while. 

• Like 2

Walkingwounded did you mess with clip position at all after you changed the pilot. I'm in south Texas and my bike won't idle for anything I definitely will be switching to the 40 pilot but the bike was breaking up in the middle so I'm thinking I need to move the clip in the needle up?

Walkingwounded did you mess with clip position at all after you changed the pilot. I'm in south Texas and my bike won't idle for anything I definitely will be switching to the 40 pilot but the bike was breaking up in the middle so I'm thinking I need to move the clip in the needle up?

No, I only changed the pilot.  It has a crisper throttle response with the 40 pilot, but can tell it's still a little fat/rich mid throttle.  I only race Mx, so I'm always in the upper rpm range; and with the Pro Circuit pipe it keeps pulling hard between 8-10 k.  I may lower the needle 1 groove and see if it will eliminate the mid range blubber.  Although the 40 pilot did give it a better throttle response, with the high temp, high humidity and at sea level, it could probably use a 38 for the pilot.  Also, I was never concerned with either one of my bikes idling, but I noticed with the 40 pilot it will almost idle.  If I would take a few minutes and play with the fuel screw and idle screw, it probably would.

Do you ever venture to some of the Houston area Mx tracks or Cycle Ranch?

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

I try to live at CycleRanch as much as I can hopefully be there this weekend. I've been dying since it's been closed the last two weeks. Only have 1 hr on my new bike just playing around at a buddy's house trying to break everything in. I went down to the 40 tonight and may do the clip mines was blubbering as well in the mid. We will see how it runs once this crappy break in fuel is flushed out. I know there is a race at CR this weekend but hope there will be practice sat afternoon or Sunday on the day track not ready to race the new bike yet.

I try to live at CycleRanch as much as I can hopefully be there this weekend. I've been dying since it's been closed the last two weeks. Only have 1 hr on my new bike just playing around at a buddy's house trying to break everything in. I went down to the 40 tonight and may do the clip mines was blubbering as well in the mid. We will see how it runs once this crappy break in fuel is flushed out. I know there is a race at CR this weekend but hope there will be practice sat afternoon or Sunday on the day track not ready to race the new bike yet.

I'm pretty cautious/gradual on jet changes.  Me and the piston can live a little on the fat side, but too lean does neither one of us any good.   

I've been racing the Evo series around the Houston area this year.  But a few weeks ago, there was the Main Event Series at the same track as the Evo series I was racing, so I did both.  That was 10 motos, and I had a blast and did well too. 

That being said, the next race of the Main event series is at Cycle Ranch, but that same weekend is a race at Swan.  Although I love Cycle Ranch, Swan is the finest, fastest, huge floater track I have ever seen or ridden. 

So I'm torn.  Think I 'll quit my job and just ride lol......until the money runs out.

Haha you and me both. I'm going out of my mind with a brand new bike in the garage and not being able to ride it can't wait to get the jetting sorted out and putting laps in. Swan looks nice and want to get up to three palms but it's a haul from corpus.