Sign in to follow this  

Not really happy with Eric gorr right now- cr500

Well I just tore down by cr500 because I lost 5th gear. It looked like the stock cylinder bore was showing some wear. I opted to send it to Eric gorr / millennium for an over bore. After looking into it you can get porting which includes an over bore for a few bucks more than an overbore alone. I figured what the hell and went with mo betta porting. I spoke with Eric on the phone and told him i run wiseco. We agreed on 89.5 mm which is one size up. 3.5 weeks later my cylinder showed up. I don't own a bore gauge but from what I can tell it's still the stock bore and the 89.5 mm slug won't fit. If an over bore wasn't required thats great but a phone call would have been nice. I'm not sure if I should just re-ring the 89mm wiseco that came out of it, order a new 89mm stock bore piston or send the damn cylinder back and wait a month. I just want to ride my damn bike! Ok rant over.

Edited by rodgini

Yeah I'm going to call him tomorrow. I'm just bummed because I had time to get it back together this weekend which is rare these days with a newborn! They are a wiseco dealer so he's knows the piston sizes. When we spoke he was trying to sell me a wiseco piston but I get much better pricing so we agreed on a brand and a size. It's really not that big of a deal. The work looks pretty. I was just bummed last night about our communication breakdown and the cylinder came back very well packaged but had 0.0 for paperwork with it.

From what has been reported on this site, it seems that there have been more complaints since he merged with millennium.  I am sure he will take care of you though, another poster had an issue with work that wasn't done per his expectations and there was a good reason for it.  EG met the posters expectations and did it at no charge.  Just call and talk to him.

Yeah my post from last night made me look likes Whiney biotch. I just measured the bore with a gauge. It is stock and still in spec so that's why he opted to leave it alone. A piston kit was $60 less with my account then from him. That's what I get for trying to save a buck. It would be nice if it came with paperwork so I wouldn't have bothered trying to install the oversized piston.

Yeah my post from last night made me look likes Whiney biotch. I just measured the bore with a gauge. It is stock and still in spec so that's why he opted to leave it alone. A piston kit was $60 less with my account then from him. That's what I get for trying to save a buck. It would be nice if it came with paperwork so I wouldn't have bothered trying to install the oversized piston.

I didn't think you sounded whiny, just frustrated.  When I sent my 06 cylinder to him to have the base shaved and the head cut, I told him I wanted the full port package in order to widen the power delivery after having shaved the base.  He did some minor transfer port porting and didn't touch the exhaust port which I thought he was going to do with the full port package.  He only charged me for the base shave and head cut and sent it back to me.  When they called me and told me the price, I questioned them and they had him call me back in order to clear it up.  When he was on his own, he would have done all that and so I could have talked to him and not been concerned.  The bike meets my expectations and he saved me money.  I think his association with millennium is causing misunderstandings and he needs to figure out a way to communicate better with customers because I am getting the feeling that he is starting to irritate a lot of people, even though in his mind he might be giving a better service for cheaper. 

On another note, you should have them plate that cylinder if it still has its stock sleeve in it, you would never have to bore it and would never have to buy an oversized piston.  Just my opinion though :)

I had millennium re-plate my CR250 cyl.  They left some plating over lap in the exhaust valve hole so the valve could not move and was binding on the plating.  When I called them they said that should not have happened and that they should have cleaned it our before shipping, NO SHI*.  Well they said send it back and I should have it back in 3 weeks.  I ended up using a dremel and just did what they should have done and cleaned it up.  This was my first experience with these guys, not sure if I will go back next time or not.

But back on the subject, I purchased my own piston and I just sent it with the cylinder, they recommended it or purchase theirs.  They said doing this without the actual piston is always risky and I agree so I sent the piston and the fit was correct. 

Edited by ramjetV8

Feel ya man - been there every time w/ mine, makes me wanna have that bore plated - cut way back on the headaches.

i have heard mixed things about plating an iron sleeve? This is my first 2-stroke that wasn't plated. it is a pain in the ass. i'm really wondering about the history of my 98 motor now. it seemed to be a bone stock unmolested motor when i got it. Yet the bottom end showed a lot of wear after 50 hours of use by me but the cylinder is still on the stock bore....weird stuff. maybe being parked for 10-15 years was rough on the bottom end bearings?    

They would press the old iron sleeve out and put in an aluminum, then plate. When mines wears out, I will go that route probably. Whether it is Millennium/Gorr remains to be seen however.