Sign in to follow this  

yamaha raptor 350?

I am 13 years old, 6'1, 180lbs and looking to get a good quad. I currently ride dirtbikes and am pretty proficient at riding quads, albeit far from being very good. I am looking to trade a dirtbike and a utility quad to get something that is fast, but easy to handle. I have a friend who has a trx250ex that is a lot of fun, but someone else I know has a trx350 (im not sure if it's a ex or an x but I know it's the one made for trail riding) and both are equally as fun to ride. My question is whether or not I should get a raptor or a trx for just trails. I definitely want a 4 stroke because I most likely wont be racing unless I go to a track just to see what it's like. If you guys have any other suggestions for a good quad for me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!keep in mind that I am not a mechanic and I want to do minimal maintainance.

If your that tall you'll be cramped on a raptor. My opinion, just go to the 400 class minimum. You can swing a solid 400ex without breaking the bank and that quad didn't change for years and years do parts and aftermarket are easy and plenty to come by for not so much $$. They have the torque and sport feel great in the trails and to be honest is probably the most reliable quad in a long time. If you like to go fast and want some more juice I'd say a Yfz 450. They have a soft spot in my heart forever.

Go for a 400 sport. Z,KFX,TRX, they're all fine machines. Raptors are not that nice of quads, especially the 660/700.

I like the 700. Not without mods. The 660 sits to tall, too narrow and too front end heavy. As for the 700 It's a lot of bike if your new and the mods are necessary for it to be like able in my opinion. the 400's are just great all around. My preference is the z sits too tall for my liking but it's pretty awesome if you like getting the front end up. The newer Ex's from I think 2006 got a new frame so the front end came up nice and reverse which is nice for trails. The thing with quads is if your exploring a new area and your having to pick up the back end manually and swing it around it get old. lol. So reverse is just handy. Can't go wrong with trx or a z.

I think the 350 is a decent quad but tall people tend to like the warrior style ergonomics over the raptor. I'd take a 400ex over a stock warrior any day though if you find a nice one in your budget