Sign in to follow this  

87 xr600 Head Scratcher

Hello all!

So i have a 87 xr600r, stock. Complete rebuild and restoration. Completed bike, Rode it at least once a weekend since spring of 2013 with no problems at all. The last couple of times i have gone to ride it, it seems to have the power of a XR200 instead of the 600. It always has seemed to take about a mile of riding before the 600 came to full roar. Shut it off and park it for 10-15 minutes, starts right up and runs awesome until i park it for the day. Have cleaned the carbs, (like their supposed to be), Air cleaner cleaned after every ride. All carb settings are factory specs. Timing is nut on, valves as well. Great compression. It seems the CDI on this bike is a common problem? Does this sound like it might be the culprit? Maybe stator? Have not ohmed anything at this point and i dont think the CDI can be ohmed.   

Thanks for any help here. 

Hello all!

So i have a 87 xr600r, stock. Complete rebuild and restoration. Completed bike, Rode it at least once a weekend since spring of 2013 with no problems at all. The last couple of times i have gone to ride it, it seems to have the power of a XR200 instead of the 600. It always has seemed to take about a mile of riding before the 600 came to full roar. Shut it off and park it for 10-15 minutes, starts right up and runs awesome until i park it for the day. Have cleaned the carbs, (like their supposed to be), Air cleaner cleaned after every ride. All carb settings are factory specs. Timing is nut on, valves as well. Great compression. It seems the CDI on this bike is a common problem? Does this sound like it might be the culprit? Maybe stator? Have not ohmed anything at this point and i dont think the CDI can be ohmed.   

Thanks for any help here. 

Here is steps I would try.

1 Check all wire conncetions that they are clean and tight. Check all grounds to frame no paint or rust.

2 Pulse Gen cheap part to replace.

3 CDI You can pickup a Ricks Hot box CDI about 60 dollars on ebay

I had a stator failure on an XL act similarly.  I was convinced in my mind that one carburator main jet got plugged intermittently.  Cleaned out many times to no avail. Finally stator died altogether, replaced and mysterious intermittent power problem completely disappeared too.

it can be ohmed, I prefer if the bike runs to test output voltage from the ignition lead at the stator.  My XL puts out about 70 volts at idle, 50+ peaks kicking it over.

edit:  set the voltmeter to a/c volts

Edited by davek18