Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a used dirt bike?

I'm either buying a 2008 ktm85sx or a 2010 yz85 or a 2008 yz85. The 2010 yz85 has a big wheel tire and rim set, plastics. The 2008 yz85 is clean looking and well maintained. And the ktm had the bottom end done but could prob use a new top end but still in good shape. If any questions about them ASK!! Thanks

Ktm-ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407633574.029222.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407633729.940341.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407633797.572754.jpg

2010 yz-ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407633971.774186.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407634102.853775.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407634189.271440.jpg

2008 yz85ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407634349.213434.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407634665.347131.jpg

They all three look good.

So basically which do you like best?

More than likely all three will need a top end. So that said????

Is a ktm85 really that much more to maintain and for parts than the yz85? I have heard that's the case but i dont know for sure?

Is a ktm85 really that much more to maintain and for parts than the yz85? I have heard that's the case but i dont know for sure?

Some parts are, some parts are cheaper. The ktm needs fresh tyres for sure.

No. Its not.

If it was really that bad nobody would buy them at all.

I've ridden KTM s since 96.

I see no difference in cost vs Honda or yamaha etc.

If anything, I've spent less because they don't break as often.

Just my experience.

With any used bike though check it over good before buying. Or do a rebuild as soon as you get it. Just so you know what you have when done.

If they tell you they just rebuilt it. Ask for receipts.

If none are available. Don't take their word for it.

By all means get a title or mso.

Good luck.

Ok well then I'm kinda in a rutt between The yz and the ktm there both great bikes I hear but I can figure out wich to choose

Ok well then I'm kinda in a rutt between The yz and the ktm there both great bikes I hear but I can figure out wich to choose

See if you can ride them then choose which one is more comfortable for you.

Even if you have to visit one twice. You will know which one you like.

Ok well I guess I'll just do that and see what happenes. Thanks

Also do the power valves make much of a difference cause the ktm has them but the yz doesn't? Will the ktm be faster of the line or top speed than the yz?

Ok well I guess I'll just do that and see what happenes. Thanks

Also do the power valves make much of a difference cause the ktm has them but the yz doesn't? Will the ktm be faster of the line or top speed than the yz?

Power valves only make it adjustable.

Speed depends on the rider.

I wish I could give you a clear direction, but those bikes are both mean for their size.

Condition is really close, so flip a coin. Lol

Would the yz be a better bike for the track and trails? Or the ktm?

Last thing would a ktm85sx be faster than the yz off the line and at the finish line?

Your thinking too hard and worrying too much. Go look at either bike and see what kind of price you can get on one, if everything checks out buy it.

The differences are negligible. If you can talk them down a bit, you can have enough money to buy a piston and rings and some premix. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 1