Sign in to follow this  

THE BIG TRADE

i just bought a 02 exc 520 and its super fun, but it needs a little bit of work, i was asked to trade for an 04 rm 250, i dont know what to say, i want a bike that is reliable and good on trails and track, i know the exc is made for enduro and trail riding but i want something that can do track too, ive always been a fan of the rms and the ktm seems heavy and not as nimble, so please tell me your guys imput

Put sx cams in the 520.

The 520 has one of the most reliable engines.

Fix it up and you will be surprised in the reliability of it.

It can and will do it all with authority!

A RM is just that, another RM.

That is my opinion.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

I wouldn't trust a 04 250 to begin with but I don't know what's wrong with yours or his.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust a 04 250 to begin with but I don't know what's wrong with yours or his.

mine has leaking for seals and the rear shock has no oil, thats it, the rm has nothing bad

It's personal preference. They're two different animals

• Like 1

mine has leaking for seals and the rear shock has no oil, thats it, the rm has nothing bad

So you need about $500.00 worth of work if done at a shop.

I personally wouldn't trade.

That's just me.

You can get offset triples to change the handling.

The rfs is stone reliable.

Almost xr650 like reliable.

I have a 04 450, and still want a 520 or 525-530.& 640 or 690.

Because me being single. Might be one of each.

Lol

In that light then it could possibly be a good trade. 250 4t are time bombs in my opinion and I would intend to rebuild it asap if I acquired one, especially a 10 year old one.

It might be better to sell the 520 and use the money to but a 250 if that's what you want?

Fleebay.
  • Like 1

Keep the KTM IMO. There has to be a reason the RM owner wants to swap.

• Like 1

Keep the KTM IMO. There has to be a reason the RM owner wants to swap.

Its yellow for starter's!
  • Like 1

I have both. I have a KTM 525sx, and it is road legal with a six speed tranny conversion. Fun bike, but a lot of power in the woods, and it is rather heavy compared to a 250 2t. It's down right now with a crank problem....From what I have read on KTMtalk, this is a common problem. Crank goes out of true. I use the bike for woods, road, and some MX duty. Now for the RM! I also have an 01 RM 250. I use it mainly for woods, hare scrambles, and some MX. I have had the suspension re-valved for woods. I have added a Rekluse clutch, and also a WER steering damper. Why have I spent money adding this stuff to the RM? Because it's a great bike!!! I have owned it for years now, and have no intention of replacing it. I just rebuilt the entire motor due to a crank bearing letting go, but that was my own doing, as I knew it was time, and did that one last race. The ONLY reason I have not gotten rid of the 525 is because it is street legal, but believe me I have always considered it. I think I would much rather have a 300 instead. I, if I were you, I would strongly think about that swap, because the RM may just be the bike you need

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS

250 4t are time bombs

He said RM, not RM-Z. 

If it is in fact a 250 2 stroke, I would probably strongly consider it. It'll be much lighter and handle better and if it's in good shape and needs no work, you have that going for you too. Keep your oil changed and your pistons fresh. 

He said RM, not RM-Z.

If it is in fact a 250 2 stroke, I would probably strongly consider it. It'll be much lighter and handle better and if it's in good shape and needs no work, you have that going for you too. Keep your oil changed and your pistons fresh.

So he did. Yeah that would make me consider it a lot more personally.