Sign in to follow this  

GP question

I've been watching a lot of mx euro gp and I'm curious about their number backgrounds. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. For instance in AMA races 250's run black backgrounds with white numbers and opposite for 450. In mxgp it seems that some of them run black or white front backgrounds and all different types of side panels. Some run goofy looking squished together numbers in crazy colors too like the honda guys. Some guys it seems in the mx2 class run a white front background and some run black. Same with mx1. It's entertaining for sure but I would like to know more about the specifics on this.

Probably because they use transponders so it doesn't matter what backgrounds or numbers they have, the computer reads it all the same.

Or...

In Europe there are soooo many affiliations so they have different rules.

The following colour schemes shall be used:

MX1 White background Black Numbers / Logo FIM

MX2 Black background White Numbers / Logo FIM

MX3 Yellow background Black Numbers / Logo FIM

Women's MX Blue background White Numbers / Logo FIM

World Champion

(1st event)

Red background White Numbers / Logo FIM

Points leader Red background White Numbers / Logo FIM

MX des Nations According to class

MXN -

Winning Team

Red background White Numbers / Logo FIM

Sidecar Yellow background Black Numbers

Veteran World Cup Yellow background Black Numbers /Logo FIM

Supercross White background Black Numbers / Logo FIM

All AMA Pro (SX and MX) and GP races use transponders for scoring. Numbers are for backup scoring, rules violations (jumping during red cross flag, course cutting) and spectators.

Possible that since GP racing has riders from multiple countries, they gave up on a standardized color. Or gave into the teams desire to use a color of their choice.

Combined with what was said above, lots of riders are there to fill the gate that don't race the series, usually fast locals. Not worth throwing them out because of background colors....

• Like 3

I see I see. The same could be said for the AMA though and even amateur races and arenacross in the us. They all use transponders. Anyway thank you for enlightening me.

The front plate is standardized but they don't care about the side plates anymore. I don't think they even need to run numbers on the sides anymore