Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x vs drz400e

What are the major differences for trail riding my brand choice is honda and would be saying xr400 but they are a bit old now days

The CRF is a lot lighter , better suspension .

The DRZ is heavy , reliable and slower throttle response . The DRZ is a good trail bike if you don't care about weight .

weight is not likely an issue cause I have been riding ag bikes recently

The DR-Z is a trail bike while the CRF is a race bike. Every piece in a CRF is lighter than a DR-Z. This makes them more capable at higher speeds and more in need of good maintenance.

A CRF rewards fast paced riding while the DR-Z discourages it.

They are completely different animals.

I wouldn't call the crfx a race bike.  It weights 254lbs and makes 10-12hp less than current gen 250f.  It's a trail bike just like a drz400e.  It just happens to have better components.

I wouldn't call the crfx a race bike. It weights 254lbs and makes 10-12hp less than current gen 250f. It's a trail bike just like a drz400e. It just happens to have better components.

So would you call a CRF250R a race bike? The X shares most of its components. The ones it doesn't share are constructed the same.

So would you call a CRF250R a race bike? The X shares most of its components. The ones it doesn't share are constructed the same.

Sure because the R weights 27lbs less and makes 10 more horsepower. It doesn't come with lights, kickstand, electric start or a battery. It's also valved much stiffer, sprung stiffer and has different linkage ratios. It's also geared different, has different gear ratios, has a shorter wheel base and a larger carb on older models. There's actually more but I don't think we need all the details. There are more differences between a crf250r and a crf250x than there are between a ktm 250sx and a 250xc-w. Plus the 250x is a dog and would actually hold back a good enduro rider compared to something like a 250r.

That's just my opinion anyway. =]

Edited by kan3

Sure because the R weights 27lbs less and makes 10 more horsepower. It doesn't come with lights, kickstand, electric start or a battery. It's also valved much stiffer, sprung stiffer and has different linkage ratios. It's also geared different, has different gear ratios, has a shorter wheel base and a larger carb on older models. There's actually more but I don't think we need all the details. There are more differences between a crf250r and a crf250x than there are between a ktm 250sx and a 250xc-w. Plus the 250x is a dog and would actually hold back a good enduro rider compared to something like a 250r.

That's just my opinion anyway. =]

So (in your opinion) if we added a 50lb. piece of lead to a race bike it would no longer be one? How could that possibly be true? Would the bike then need less maintenance like all other 'trail' bikes?

How does wiring a starter up to a race bike no longer make it one? Do you know that almost every KTM ("Ready to race") has a starter?

Do you know that MOST enduro race bikes have kickstands?

Do you know that $200 in parts (Cam and jetting) makes a 250X have equal power to a 250R?

Show me the DR-Z's slipper piston- you can't because it doesn't have one. It's a trail bike.

I agree that the X is a pig. But it uses lightweight construction, a slipper piston, titanium valves, etc, et al. -Which makes it a race bike. If you have ever had a trailbike 100% apart and a race bike 100% apart I don't think we'd be in disagreement.

There is a HUGE difference between the two and it's all in the engineering and materials.

You seem to think that enduro bikes aren't race bikes. And you are wrong.

Please continue to disagree, I can do this all day long.

So (in your opinion) if we added a 50lb. piece of lead to a race bike it would no longer be one? How could that possibly be true?

If you added 50lbs and cut the power by 30% and added lights and changed the gearing and transmission and fork valving etc etc etc. I gave you a big list of changes for the bike and you literally picked 1 line item and made that sentence.

Would the bike then need less maintenance like all other 'trail' bikes?

I've never looked at maintenance when I've defined a trail bike. Did Kawasaki say that their KDX 200 had less maintenance when they advertised it in their line up? Did Yamaha say that their wr250 2t got better top end life when they had that bike for sale?

How does wiring a starter up to a race bike no longer make it one?

Again, 1 line item out of a bunch I listed.

Do you know that almost every KTM ("Ready to race") has a starter?

You can race any bike. You can win on any bike. You could win your local enduro races on a ttr125. That doesn't change what the ttr was designed to be. It also doesn't change the fact that the crf250x is a trail bike first and for most. Just like the 250r is a mx race bike first and fore most.

Do you know that MOST enduro race bikes have kickstands?

Ahh, I see now. You think because I said it's not a "race" bike that you can't "race" it. Two years ago I went to 4 enduros in my state. I saw more kdx200 there AND MORE drz400 there than crf250x. I guess you can "race" anything?

Do you know that $200 in parts (Cam and jetting) makes a 250X have equal power to a 250R?

Did you know that for $200 in porting you can get +3-5hp out of some older 125? Did you know there are big bore drz making 55hp which is +23hp over stock?

Show me the DR-Z's slipper piston- you can't because it doesn't have one. It's a trail bike.

I guess I better tell those guys at the last enduro I went to that their 1996 kdx 200 isn't a race bike. I guess they should sell it and get something else. How many people do you know that call a kdx 200 a "race" bike because I've never meant anyone.

You seem to think that enduro bikes aren't race bikes. And you are wrong.

Any trail bike can be ridden, raced and win at an enduro. Hell, I could take my nsr 250 out there if I wanted to. Your logic is saying that just because a bike uses better components makes it a race bike. If Suzuki came out with a new drz400x that weighted 40lbs less, had better suspension, a 40hp engine and bremobo brakes would it make it a race bike or a trail bike? By your statements it is now a race bike.

Please continue to disagree, I can do this all day long.

Seriously, it's a post that's being drawn out based semantics. I'm quite sure all day long is really 1min intervals 2x a day.

I think I understand where you are coming from now...

The bikes that YOU think are race bikes, are. And the ones that you think aren't, well they aren't. It doesn't work that way but you aren't getting it. At all.

-----------------------Please tell me why Honda recommends a piston replacement every 15 hours on the X if it's not a race bike.-------------------------

You can throw the fact that poor shmucks still try to race on KDX's and and that CRF250X's are heavy. I get that. You must of course know that at one time, KDX's WERE race bikes but that time has passed them by. Just like XR's. Ancient technology race bikes eventually may become trail bikes. 

Trail bikes are self evident. They have wonky ergos, they don't need much maintenance and they don't change much.

I can cite all the differences I want and you'll probably come up with some guy who turbo'd his kid's TT-R80, thus proving it's a race bike.