Sign in to follow this  

Strange whining sound coming from new-to-me DRZ

I just picked up a used DRZ400S, 2000 model. Riding it around the last couple of days I have noticed this odd, loud whining sound. Only in 3rd and 4th gears.

It almost sounds like a tire rubbing against a fender (although I know that can't be it). It is definitely coming from the sprocket/transmission area or thereabouts.

The sound is only for a few hundred RPM. I can hear it plain as day in 3rd around 43-45 mph and then in 4th around 54 mph.

Anybody ever experienced something like this? Any ideas? The bike only has 8100 miles on it. I changed the oil yesterday. Inspected the CS sprocket and the nut does indeed wiggle from left to right (barely) but I was unable to get it any tighter, and the washer is indeed bent up to keep it from turning loose. Inspected the airbox and couldn't find anything obviously foul.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

my advice is make sure everything is nice and tight  BUT not SUPER TIGHT!     over tighting will cause drag on rear tire etc and cause a whine.    sometimes a bad wheel bearing can whine the rear tire. if you have a knobbie tire it will whine pretty good at speed.  my maxxis it rear is super loud at 35-40 mph.

try turning off the engine and coasting it in a safe place and see if you can narrow it down that way  by making sure it is indeed invovling the engine transmission

check the chain and make sure its align properly with the dials on the axle shaft   the chain could be rubbing somewhere

otherwise my guess is something inside the transmission but i doubt it

Edited by ukele6

Thank you for the advice!! I will certainly do that.

I rode it like 50 miles today and, the sound is completely avoidable. Its only at relatively high rpms in 3rd and 4th and you have to "cruise" at those rpms to make it happen.

If I just wring its neck through 3rd and 4th it doesnt make the sound at all, but if I just ease on the throttle in 3rd at 43-45 mph sure enough it makes it every time.

Mine is making a whine that was not there before my rebuild. Noticed it today when rolling down my driveway in 2nd gear with no throttle. Almost like a aircraft turbine sound. stops when I pull the clutch in. Done a 100 or so K's since the rebuild and everything seems to be working ok..... ?