Sign in to follow this  

DON'T TAKE THAT APART!

Just thought this might be fun to share and hear other "don't take that apart stories"...

I've got 2 I can think of...

Yesterday, I decided it was time to regrease my bicycle wheel... Ping, ping ping ping ping... "&%$#@!!!" Every single ball bearing fell out. LOL. Well I found them all and got it back together... And I was gonna do it outside too, but it was too hot so I went into the cement floor basement.

My new boat motor would not idle... Cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, then for some reason decided it was the fuel pump... Figured I'd just take it apart, and clean it... Literally like 3 springs flew in every direction. It was really funny cause I walked into the stealership like "I did something really stupid... I took one of these apart." I was the laughing stock of the whole place... Lol

So what are your stories?

• Like 5

Just thought this might be fun to share and hear other "don't take that apart stories"...

I've got 2 I can think of...

Yesterday, I decided it was time to regrease my bicycle wheel... Ping, ping ping ping ping... "&%$#@!!!" Every single ball bearing fell out. LOL. Well I found them all and got it back together... And I was gonna do it outside too, but it was too hot so I went into the cement floor basement.

My new boat motor would not idle... Cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, then for some reason decided it was the fuel pump... Figured I'd just take it apart, and clean it... Literally like 3 springs flew in every direction. It was really funny cause I walked into the stealership like "I did something really stupid... I took one of these apart." I was the laughing stock of the whole place... Lol

So what are your stories?

Ah darn.....way to give ammo to the "anti-rebuild" treehuggers :facepalm:

• Like 1

Apparently my uncle and grandfather tore down the old Suzuki 90 about 30 years ago. They decided to go into the trans, and every single gear decided to spill out on the floor when they did. Somehow they DID eventually get it going again haha

I took a 4 stroke apart once

Ha ha!

I had to replace some transmission bearings in my RM 125.  I had everything laid out nice and neat and in order on the bench.  While I was taking a break, my son (about 5 at the time) decided to re-arrange all the gears and parts.  Wow, that took some thinking and sweating to get everything back in order and working.  

I also once reassembled a 4 cylinder 1000cc Kawasaki engine from the bottom up, but I forgot to reset the cam chain tensioner.  What an ungodly racket that made on start up.  Fortunately I was able to shut things down rapidly.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Was repairing the carb on my tweaked out PW80 and i was taking the choke out then the spring flew out and i cant find it ANYWHERE then about a month later im putting in new reeds and i get the intake off and there i find the choke spring lodged in reed #3 slot! Ehh that coulda been bad.

• Like 3

All I have to say is if you are doing a rebuild and already have the bike apart, but are waiting in parts, make sure you label everything so when you parts come in two weeks later you don't forget what you're doing

• Like 4

Decided I should clean out my spark arrestor, and for whatever reason there were three bolts, and each had three washers, after about a hour of looking I found all nine washers and got it put back together....

I dove into a plunging cv axle once and as I was taking it apart the balls went everywhere....

Took apart the selector switch on an ATC 250. It was kinda a mess, then I re-soldered the whole thing Lol it went back together fine

• Like 1