DON'T TAKE THAT APART!

2014-09-14 22.13.17.jpg

This is a '98 Polaris Sportsman 500 I just bought... and this is the way I got it.

But I did have to repair the one on my dad's '99 Polaris Magnum 500 once and It greatly expanded my vocabulary.

I never imagined so many little springs and ball bearings could be stuffed into one switch and from so many different angles.

I'm just going to buy another control for this one.

• Like 1

Haha I love this thread once when I was 8 I decided that I could do maintenance on my pw 80 so I grabbed the first screwdriver I could find and tightened the first screw I saw....... After I tightened the screw up I decided to go for a ride and compare the difference lol I noticed that it ran like crap and wouldn't idle so I went and my dad, how lucky was I to see the first screw was on the carb, turns out it was the air screw lol those bikes will run through anything as long as you feed them oil lol

• Like 1

Here's where the chinese are smarter than we are.. They use a special size of hose that CANNOT BE PURCHASED anywhere in the U.S. Trust me, I called several small engine repair places and they told me that they are not designed to be repaired and that there is no suitable hose available to repair them. I tried buying the smallest size fuel hose I could find from Home Depot/Lowes/Small Engine Shops and they were right, the smallest commercially available fuel line hose in the U.S. is too large in diameter to fit on the nipples on the fuel tank. 

They use metric like the rest of the world.? 

You couldn't just use carb hose or 2T oil line? It's available in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm ID sizes on ebay, you can't tell me it was smaller than 2mm!

• Like 1

stinkwheels, I probably could have used carb vent hose but I had a yard that needed to be finished and I wanted it to run right then. I have since figured out the real problem is buying Chinese junk. I bought a Stihl weed eater at 3X the cost of the Chinese models, but feel certain that when the time comes I will be able to buy anything needed to repair it. We all really do get what we pay for. That Stihl is a 1 pull starter every time and has all the power I need. I liked it so much I got a chainsaw to match.

stinkwheels, I probably could have used carb vent hose but I had a yard that needed to be finished and I wanted it to run right then. I have since figured out the real problem is buying Chinese junk. I bought a Stihl weed eater at 3X the cost of the Chinese models, but feel certain that when the time comes I will be able to buy anything needed to repair it. We all really do get what we pay for. That Stihl is a 1 pull starter every time and has all the power I need. I liked it so much I got a chainsaw to match.

buy a husky damnit!

My partner bought a Stihl chainsaw recently. When he tried to adjust the chain the adjustment nut spun the stud it was in and nothing was loosening. So he had a few trips back to the dealer and the dealer had an argument with Stihl over it. Dealer says it must have been loose from the factory because there wasn't really a way that the user could mess it up. Stihl washed their hands of it and the dealer had to fix it by taking it apart and putting Loctite on it, so it's fixed, for now. 

I would say making horsepower in the high RPM's (think +10,000 revolutions per minute) would be a whole lot more difficult then making horsepower in the 3,000 RPM's (think American v8's)......... wouldn't you agree? ?

Hell, the Honda S2000 comes from factory with a 9,000 RPM redline...... takes alot of guts to make a production car able to consistently handle 9,000 revs for daily driving, while American V8's would have bent pushrods at 5,000 RPM's, if that!

You're a little off, if you think there's never been a 9000rpm v8 you'd be wrong. Look at f1 cars

And an s2000 doesn't "handle 9k rom consistently for daily driving"

Do you redline your car every day? I seriously doubt it would live that long if you did that.... Even at 9k rpm an s2000 engine is wearing really fast. Hence why they're not supposed to do it all the time, even thought they can. And if it was sooooo easy to make power at 3k Rpms then why wouldn't the japs be doing it? They're built for efficiency. Tuning and upgraded parts made to handle the stresses are what make them create power at high Rpms.

You sound like you're 14, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it. There's more than you're imagining that goes into making a powerful motor.... And anything can be capable

If American v8s were as bad as you're saying why are LS swaps DOMINATING drift circuits? Hell ive even worked on an LS swapped 350z, it's a mean combo

• Like 1

You're a little off, if you think there's never been a 9000rpm v8 you'd be wrong. Look at f1 cars

And an s2000 doesn't "handle 9k rom consistently for daily driving"

Do you redline your car every day? I seriously doubt it would live that long if you did that.... Even at 9k rpm an s2000 engine is wearing really fast. Hence why they're not supposed to do it all the time, even thought they can. And if it was sooooo easy to make power at 3k Rpms then why wouldn't the japs be doing it? They're built for efficiency. Tuning and upgraded parts made to handle the stresses are what make them create power at high Rpms.

You sound like you're 14, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it. There's more than you're imagining that goes into making a powerful motor.... And anything can be capable

If American v8s were as bad as you're saying why are LS swaps DOMINATING drift circuits? Hell ive even worked on an LS swapped 350z, it's a mean combo

Probably more common in the US though. Where LS engines are cheaper and considered the creation of the 8th Day.

Credit where its due though, Id rather an LS than a poxy honda.

Probably more common in the US though. Where LS engines are cheaper and considered the creation of the 8th Day.

Credit where its due though, Id rather an LS than a poxy honda.

I have nothing special for LS engines. If I did a V8 build you better bet I'm putting a brand new ford racing v8 in it.

And I also have nothing against tuned foreign cars, I love a turbo s15 as much as an LS s15. I have no bias, if it's loud, fast, and cool I like building them haha.

And you guys can get LS motors there, doesn't one of the Holden's have it?

I have nothing special for LS engines. If I did a V8 build you better bet I'm putting a brand new ford racing v8 in it.

And I also have nothing against tuned foreign cars, I love a turbo s15 as much as an LS s15. I have no bias, if it's loud, fast, and cool I like building them haha.

I'd personally leave it SR20DET myself. Holdens have had LS since about 1998 or so I think. They are slightly dearer to mod here because the parts often come from the US anyway, if you get what I mean.

People are putting them in everything now here too, but generally don't replace the Jap stuff with an LS, too often.

I preferred the older Holden engine, but it was truly outdated with its iron block and some oiling issues. Potential wise, Id rate it as between a SBC and an LS, but they are far dearer to mod, because there are no US parts for that engine... Although torquier than the LS and better sounding.

I've got a number of favourite engines, many are sixes, the odd v8 and four as well.

Just love the smooth scream of a six pulling revs.

• Like 1

Like this. The RB series is an obvious favourite ? . This is pretty much my dream combo of car and engine, although I'd probably rather it setup for circuit not drag.

Edit: here to rotor at about 50 seconds?  ?

Edited by BushPig

I'd personally leave it SR20DET myself. Holdens have had LS since about 1998 or so I think. They are slightly dearer to mod here because the parts often come from the US anyway, if you get what I mean.

People are putting them in everything now here too, but generally don't replace the Jap stuff with an LS, too often.

I preferred the older Holden engine, but it was truly outdated with its iron block and some oiling issues. Potential wise, Id rate it as between a SBC and an LS, but they are far dearer to mod, because there are no US parts for that engine... Although torquier than the LS and better sounding.

I've got a number of favourite engines, many are sixes, the odd v8 and four as well.

Just love the smooth scream of a six pulling revs.

Our problem in America is where to find SR20DET parts. (I would love to keep it there too haha)

That's why all the LS swaps.

I can break the engine on my LS swapped drift car, and run on down to auto-zone and have it running same day. That's idea behind LS swaps here, ease of parts and cheaper/more reliable.

And I personally love screaming rotaries the best. If I had an unlimited budget drift car a 3 rotor would go in it

• Like 1

Our problem in America is where to find SR20DET parts. (I would love to keep it there too haha)

That's why all the LS swaps.

I can break the engine on my LS swapped drift car, and run on down to auto-zone and have it running same day. That's idea behind LS swaps here, ease of parts and cheaper/more reliable.

And I personally love screaming rotaries the best. If I had an unlimited budget drift car a 3 rotor would go in it

Listen to about 50 second in that vid. Sounds like the 6 is going against a rotor to me?

• Like 1