Sign in to follow this  

YZ transmission issue?

I have an 02 YZ 295 with a stock transmission. I replaced 1 through 5th last year. Yesterday at the track I started getting chain slap really bad. I pulled off saw that there was excessive play (that wasn't there 20 minutes before) and adjusted. 2 laps later the same thing happened again. I pulled off and started to roll the bike to see if there was a tooth broken off of one of the sprockets and it pooped into gear and stalled?  I put it back on the truck and went home. There I noticed that every 1/4 turn of the counter shaft sprocket it would almost lock up. Upon draining the trans fluid there is a large metal chunk about  12 mm in length stuck to the magnetic drain plug. After removing the chain I see that the counter shaft sprocket does lock every quarter turn. I just pressure washed the bike and I'm gonna start with the easy stuff basket,inner hub,pressure plate etc beyond that I have no Idea where to start? Does anyone have any experience with these symptoms to give me a head start on where to look and what to look for?

Edited by StillSmoking

Just in case anyone runs into a similar issue I split the cases and it turned out to be 4th gear. Wheel and pinion both had teeth missing.

• Like 1

After 2 practices and 1 race I'm back to the same problem. I was rolling the bike backwards in neutral at a practice track yesterday and the front sprocket looked to be catching again. After I removed the sprocket I saw it definitely is. I can rotate it a few times and it locks up. If I force it or rotate it in the reverse direction a little it frees up again. It looks like ANOTHER gear broke. I know the YZ trans is fragile but this is ridiculous in a year I replaced 1 through 5 then 4th now 2 weeks later another gear. The shift forks and trans bearings all look fine. Is there something not so obvious I should look for while the cases are split this time?