Tire pressures for desert

I'd like the group's opinion on something...

I recently moved to Pahrump ,Nevada (west of Las Vegas. )I'm wondering what people are using for tire pressures on DIRT BIKE's out here.

Back in Florida I used 12/10 f/r. While it works ride-wise, out here I'm getting a lot of flats.

At 13/11 same thing.

I've tried 14/12 but then the ride becomes very rough on hardpack.

My suspension is still set for Florida conditions( i.e. rolling sand whoops instead of what we have here) , so a suspension re-valve could very likely be in my future.

In the meantime I'd like to know what the riders out here do about the trade-off between handling and flat protection .

I recently moved to Pahrump ,Nevada (west of Las Vegas. )I'm wondering what people are using for tire pressures on DIRT BIKE's out here.

Back in Florida I used 12/10 f/r. While it works ride-wise, out here I'm getting a lot of flats.

At 13/11 same thing.

My suspension is still set for Florida conditions( i.e. rolling sand whoops instead of what we have here) , so a suspension re-valve could very likely be in my future.

In the meantime I'd like to know what the riders out here do about the trade-off between handling and flat protection .

Been running maxxis IT desert tires for years all over the desert no flats. 10-14 psi depending where im at.

If you can move the bike at a decent speed then no less then 15psi. Racing we use 18psi often in the rear.

Tommy, i'm a B level rider. Near home I ride mainly hard pack some sand /silt and the occasional rocky ridge top. I do plan to start racing GPs and desert raced come the fall so I'd like to get this sorted out now.

I know this type of question generally opens a floodgate of answers. I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone on a lightweight two-stroke is having luck running 13/11 without a lot of flats, while using heavy-duty tubes

Tommy, i'm a B level rider. Near home I ride mainly hard pack some sand /silt and the occasional rocky ridge top. I do plan to start racing GPs and desert raced come the fall so I'd like to get this sorted out now.

I know this type of question generally opens a floodgate of answers. I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone on a lightweight two-stroke is having luck running 13/11 without a lot of flats, while using heavy-duty tubes

Ive had good luck with 13/11 in the AZ desert running hd tubes. 

I'm on a 2 stroke 250. Here in AZ I run 14/12 most of the time. 14 up front seems to be the minimum I can get away with. Using heavy duty tubes. Ride is rougher, but rocks just come out of no where here and I hate flats and hate damaging rims more than I hate a rougher ride. 

Edited by Kenpo1

At 13/11 same thing.

1. gotta run 4 or 6 ply tire in the desert.  Kenda Parker DT will not fail you, even at 6lbs

2. gotta run super extra heavy duty tubes, covered in talcum powder

3. If you get a re-valve on a stock MX bike, it will float instead of deflect. 

• Like 1

At 13/11 same thing.

While I raced for 45 years in Fl., out here I'm a newb, though I am enjoying learning a new world.. I've set a goal to get set up and start racing out here in October, at the Mesquite GP and/or the Mesquite desert race. Both I and the bike are set up for a very different situation,so I definitely appreciate the input. Keep it coming!

The bike is a 2012 KTM 300 XC . It has been mildly revalved for Florida Hare Scrambles. I am currently running Dunlop mx 51's f/r( heavy duty tubes) . I do have a fair but not new front Maxxis Desert max-IT. I may experiment with.Any opinions on the two front tires? I am a B-level rider,and am setting things up for racing.

While a suspension revalve may be logical,for right now I'm working on tire pressure/suspension clicker combos. 

Ktm's are finicky on suspension balance anyway, but I have settled on 35mm free sag. 

Anyway, back to  topic...12/10 pressures worked but got flats

13/11 worked ok(not great),and with heavy duty tubes didn't get flats on on what I'm riding. At race pace , I'm not so sure about handling or flat protection.

14/14 seemed ok flatwise,even when intentionally hitting rocks.Ride quality kind of sucked. Rough on chop(which I can live with) but both ends were losing hookup in twisty looser terrain.

Where I'm at at the moment is seeing if I can set up the suspension to handle at 14/14

In the past I used to have to run 20/15 psi in rocky desert conditions in order to keep from rim pinching the inner tubes. For the last several years I have been running Tubliss front and rear which allows me to use much less air pressure without having to worry about rim pinches.

• Like 1

Ive had good luck with 13/11 in the AZ desert running hd tubes. 

run 14 with the hd tubes and no flats for me.  Not sure if its your psi or your tube selection, but the thicker the better.  I live in Phoenix and there is a lot of sharp things out in the desert               

I did a lot of riding this weekend, and think I found the set up. I ended up with 14/12 and softened the compression a bit at both ends.I hit all the rocks,silt and nasty stuff I could find.I would say I found a good race setup. At trailriding speed not the smoothest ride on chop,but the harder I hit stuff the better it felt, and the bike felt stable . 

For a trail rider, I would recommend 13/11