Sign in to follow this  

Headlight bulbs for DR-Z400

I like the stock look of my DR-Z400S but wanted a bit more light at night, so I thought I would just upgrade to a better bulb.  So far, I've tried one type with bad results and just posting here for others to know what happened.  I bought a pair of EiKO ClearVision Supremes (9003/H4CVSU2) which boast of 80% more light and 50% whiter light than stock and are 60/55W rated.  I won't argue the light output and color claims a bit.  I may have a bit of trouble believing they accomplished this while keeping it at 60/55W ratings.   What happened is that while riding on high beam for a while and switching back to low beam, you would lose the headlight altogether for a second or two and then the low beam would come on.  This was on pavement so vibration really shouldn't have been an issue, but I thought perhaps it was a loose connection on the low beam's tab on the connector, so I put a slight bend in the tabs to ensure no loss of the circuit due to vibration.  Still occurred.  Tried the other bulb that came in the 2 bulb pack, and after a little riding, same thing occurred.  I'm left suspecting it is putting more amperage draw on the circuit than the claimed 60/55W would require - as the stock Philips bulb draws (this should be no more than 5 amps if you even consider a voltage level down to 12 volts).  Anyway, I put the stock bulb back in and no more issues. 

btw - not sure if it would have been an issue if left in for a longer trip (especially at slower speeds for extended time) but the EiKO's put off a good deal more heat (which also leaves me believing they are drawing more current and are actually achieving their performance with higher wattage than stated).

Now I've decided to find another good halogen that may be slightly brighter and more of a white color.  (The whiter color of the EiKO's was definitely better for driving.)  If any of you have found better halogens without issues, I'd be interested to know which ones have been an improvement over the yellowish light of the Philips.  Not looking to upgrade to an LED setup right at the moment, but if they make a P43T socket bulb that is LED to fit in the stock setup, I'm all ears. 

• Like 3

Have you looked  into  an HID setup?  Most of the new HIDs come with a shield so that they work in a reflector set up without blinding other drives and you get a lot more light, and less draw.  I just put a Kensun kit in my FZ1 and it's great!  Another option, it you don't want to go the HID route is to get a relay for the stock setup.  You can make your own or buy them premade from www.easternbeaver.com.

• Like 1

Have you looked  into  an HID setup?  Most of the new HIDs come with a shield so that they work in a reflector set up without blinding other drives and you get a lot more light, and less draw.  I just put a Kensun kit in my FZ1 and it's great!  Another option, it you don't want to go the HID route is to get a relay for the stock setup.  You can make your own or buy them premade from www.easternbeaver.com.

Thanks... I'm going to go this route.  After looking around this morning, I think this is the kit I'm going to buy.  It has the solid state relay and high beam modulator all in the one kit (which I wanted to get anyway).  Aside from putting more juice to the bulb, it takes less load off the high/low switch.  It's a win/win/win.   I've always thought they were annoying to see coming at you while driving my truck, BUT...  you definitely see it and that's what's important when you are the one on two wheels.  http://comagination.com/relay-kit-headlight-modulator.htm   Thanks for pointing me in this direction. 

Edited by WesternMDMtnMan