Sign in to follow this  

Is a 2008 yz250f a good year ?

Hi everyone

I have been offered a 2008 yz250f for around £1600.

Looks clean

Starts well hot or cold , plenty compression,20140809_113825.jpg20140809_113556.jpg

Loved my 08. Frankly I think it was the best 250F Yamaha made up till this year. I had absolutely not one issue with them. I owned 3 of them. Only reason I sold the last one last November was because they finally went to FI this year. You will be very happy with that bike if its been maintained well by the previous owner.

is that a Good price though? £1600 GBP?

what are £ compared to $? I think theyre close? And if its anything close to $1600 and its in good running shape then you have one absolute STEAL id get it immediatly
  • Like 1

Depending on the overall condition of the bike. If its starts easy as you say that's a good sign. How does the I take/air box look? I always request to have the seat pulled so I can look in there. If its really dirty I'd be a bit more hesitant. Also I'd check the suspension. Is there any oil leaking from the forks or shock. Put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel hanging and pull up and down on the swing arm looking for any slop in the linkage. If all that checks out I'd say go for it. Still nothing wrong with trying to haggle on the price though.

Its what I have been riding for years now, and I have no serious complaints.  Its not the best turning bike ever, but the tradeoff is a ton of stability at speed.  I have about 150 hours on mine, and only one valve has required a slight shim change to get it in spec.  It was only out by .001, but since I was in there, I went ahead and did the change.  Im going to run mine till it dies.  I do oil changes every 5 hours of ride time, and change air filters accordingly.  I have had air filters still look clean after multiple rides, and other times have a single ride turn a clean filter brown.  I did a top end at 90 hours.  These engines are very reliable.  If yours nervous at all about the prior maintenance that was or wasn't done, a piston and timing chain isn't to expensive to do, and can give you piece of mind.  I think they are asking a bit to much for an 08.  I think you could give him an offer for about $2200, and you would both be getting a fair deal.  Brand new left over YZ250F's sell $5400 in our area.  I cant see paying more than 50% of the cost of a brand new bike for a six year old machine.   

Hi everyone

I have been offered a 2008 yz250f for around £1600.

Looks clean

Starts well hot or cold , plenty compression,20140809_113825.jpg20140809_113556.jpg

Buy it its a nice bike.

I believe that is the first year that they bumped up the compression. Strong motor, for the year, and will be super reliable if maintained. As Charlie said, I'd check the airbox and usually by giving a close look at the bike and talking with the owner, you can get a good idea of how the bike was cared for. I personally did not get along with the chassis of that generation but most people seem to like them. As said above, they are super stable but aren't the sharpest turning. Also, I felt like the front never felt planted on those bikes. That is my only complaint. To be honest, when buying a used 250F in that price /age range the YZ would be the main one I would consider. My  primary reason for that is just the fact that it doesn't have many weaknesses and is known to last. Good luck.