Sign in to follow this  

yz125 power not smooth

So i have a 99 yz125. I just did the top end and it has like 2 hours on it. i have barely been able to ride in the last few months. But i took it out yesterday and it feels ok but it has a weird stumble. Im not sure if its just that im not used to 2 strokes anymore or if its a problem with the bike. It pulls fine but it doesnt pull smooth. As i turn the throttle it goes then stutters then pulls again. Its making it really frustrating to ride because im still trying to get used to having that instant powerband again but its not predictable at all. Is there anything else i can check? I do probably need to repack the exhaust but it doesnt sound blown out. I just havent checked it. and the reeds are good. i just checked those when i did the top end..

Is there anyone here that is good at jetting that can give me a general idea of what to start with for my mods/elevation? 

Check: Throttle(slide) for sticking, clean your jets, jetting in general, is your air filter clean?

Did you mess with the powervalve assembly when you had it apart?

• Like 1

Check: Throttle(slide) for sticking, clean your jets, jetting in general, is your air filter clean?

Did you mess with the powervalve assembly when you had it apart?

i'll check the air filter. i barely ride it so im pretty sure its clean. i have a new one to put in there so i might just do that. the throttle opens and closes really smooth. i cleaned the carb when i had it apart doing the top end. and yea. i messed with the power valve. i sprayed it out a lot with carb cleaner...

i'll check the air filter. i barely ride it so im pretty sure its clean. i have a new one to put in there so i might just do that. the throttle opens and closes really smooth. i cleaned the carb when i had it apart doing the top end. and yea. i messed with the power valve. i sprayed it out a lot with carb cleaner...

Carbs get gummed up from sitting over time, regardless if you cleaned it before letting it sit. My bet is some clogged jets.

• Like 1

Carbs get gummed up from sitting over time, regardless if you cleaned it before letting it sit. My bet is some clogged jets.

yea. i'll check it out again. it has been sitting for a while. i keep intending on going riding but then i get busy and dont. it ran fine before and it had the same setup then now it will die if it let it go to idle with the clutch in without reving it...

i dont know what it is but this bike leaks some kind of oil when it sits on the stand. its orange looking. my premix is orange and the oil is kinda orange. is it more likely oil?

Edited by jawknee21