Sign in to follow this  

2014 yz250f shutting down

We have a 2014 250f, it's got a total of 90 hrs on bike. New top and bottom end has less than 2.

Bike has shut off after about 5 laps. A loud pop/backfire then shuts off. It did the same thing twice before the full rebuild. Starts up about 10 kicks later but now scared to let my son ride.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Sheared Woodruff Key would be my first guess.  But I have no experience with FI bikes.

Anytime after a rebuild, if I get a backfire and stop running, that's what I look for.  First time it happened to me was when I re-did a '79 KLX250.

• Like 1

Sheared Woodruff Key would be my first guess. But I have no experience with FI bikes.

Anytime after a rebuild, if I get a backfire and stop running, that's what I look for. First time it happened to me was when I re-did a '79 KLX250.

That would be a quick and easy check but in all the engines I've rebuild (over 500) I have come across 1 bike with a sheared woodruff key and it was on a KTM 200 that someone added an aftermarket flywheel weight to.

The OP said it happened before the rebuild as well and they were able to put 2 hours on the rebuild before it happened again. Once the key is sheared and it died the first time I don't think it would run very well if start at all once the timing was off that far. I will make the assumption that whoever rebuilt the engine knew what they were doing and would have discovered a sheared key then.

I suspect something with either the ignition or EFI. I'd check all of the electrical connections and grounds first.

Check your spark plug boot and make sure its not popping up when riding.I had to replace one on my son's 2014 yz250f.Check your stator for metal  or debree from the shift stopper wheeel coming apart.The flywheel is a magnet and will tend to attrack the metal pieces from the shift stopper wheel when they break.

• Like 3