Sign in to follow this  

Motocross We are not nascar fans but

Bad lighting, dark track and a black suit makes the perfect recipe for an accident.  

• Like 5

This has been all over the news. The guy should have stayed in his car. I hate NASCAR but feel Tony Stewart is getting beat to shit over this when it was not his fault. Condolences to Ward's family

• Like 11

This has been all over the news. The guy should have stayed in his car. I hate NASCAR but feel Tony Stewart is getting beat to shit over this when it was not his fault. Condolences to Ward's family

Exactly, I think people are way too quick to pass judgement.

I have no interest in Nascar but watching it all I can think is what was that guy thinking? Get out of the car and walk directly into traffic in a black suit, on a dark track, towards a car with no headlights that pretty much has to spin the rear end to do any type of maneuvering. 

I can only wish comfort for both parties involved.

• Like 7

What he said, but I do like watching it sometimes.

Nascur, golf & poker are not true sports. And no amount of praying is going to make them so or change the tragedy of this incident, nor should it be termed an "accident"! It was avoidable... IMO

• Like 1

It is amazing how far down into the race line he walked and wearing mostly black. When the first car swerved, he should have run to the outside.

You can't demand the drivers stay in the car as they sometimes catch fire after a few flips, but I could see a rule that drivers must stay with the car (if not on fire) or out of the race lines until the race is over or red flagged.

Some of the comments are nasty. Stewart is not one of the calmer NASCAR drivers, but I don't think anything was intentional. More videos should surface.

Sad day for all involved.

• Like 1

Badly lit track, the guy should've stayed in his car.

In this type of racing the cars are controlled mainly with the throttle, so when you let off of the throttle the car will straighten out. So if tony saw him and tried to slow down/stop I'd straighten the car to the right/outside.

Sad situation, and prayers to the guys family.

• Like 1

Tony has the rep for being a hot-head but I'm sure that was not intentional. However, I would like to hear his comment about the situation, and, if he would have raced today,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,that wouldn't go over well with anyone.  Thoughts and prayer out for this young man and family. 

Sprint cars are like bikes in a way as they steer with the rear wheel(s). The right side view out a sprint car is limited, and it looks like Stewart saw him last minute and tried to turn, hence the rear going out. I can never believe, no matter how much frustration for another racer, that something like that would be intentional.

• Like 4

It has also strangely enough been all over the news here in Ireland. Not sure why, but a tragedy all the same.

I don't believe it was intentional. I don't believe any racer in their right frame of mind would want to deliberately mow down another competitor. 

The guy got out of his car, walked onto the race track towards oncoming cars in dark conditions wearing black clothing, not very many people could do that on a highway and live to tell the tale either.

Thoughts with all involved.

Just a bad deal for everyone involved. Ward didn't deserve the fate he got but darwin strikes again. Should have never gotten out of that car, and certainly shouldn't have went that far to the bottom of the track in the line of the cautioned cars on a dark race track in a black fire suit and helmet. 

• Like 2

I have seen it happen at least once at a local stock car track where a driver intentionally jerked the front of his car in the direction of an exited driver after a track confrontation. Dangerous to say the least and I was surprised the driver wasn't suspended or fined. So it is at least within the realm of possibility that Stuart may have done something similar but obviously not trying to kill the guy. That being said, Stuart should be given the benefit of the doubt until a full investigation has been completed. The only sure thing at the moment is that the exited driver used very poor judgment. 

Anyone who believe a racer would kill another intentionally is simply wrong. No riders/driver meeting I've ever attended missed the point of not entering a hot track. In fact they're pretty adamant about it. Corner marshalls are told not to run out and help fallen riders. Unfortunately the young man contributed to his own demise. Condolences to his family. And I hope Tony Stewart is able to recover from this who regardless of his reputation is a genuine nice guy.

• Like 5

Regardless of how the original accident occurred, if Ward had stayed in his car he'd be alive today. 

• Like 3

Several thing I'd like to point out. Ward used extremely poor judgment in getting out of that car. He then is fueled with rage as you can see in the video. Storms down the track seems to avoid getting hit. Then takes a quick step forward as if he going to teach Stewart a thing or two. This 20yr old was clearly out of line. I am sorry for both parties, but man let's face it. The kids rage was his biggest threat.

• Like 4

The kid knew that in all probability if he didn't do something huge 50 years from now he'd be sitting in a garage somewhere talking about how he raced TS once........just trying to be a showman and fueled with adrenalin...... Similar to a Hughes v. Henry or Poto v. Lawrence..............only he should have done it in the pits.

Maybe they should stop showing all these shit heads fighting and glamming that part up.

• Like 3

Not to stir stuff up but there are a lot of people at that race who saw things from a different perspective that say Tony might not be 100% innocent. I guess these two have had a history and possibly Tony just meant to throttle up and scare him or roost him? I don't know, there are two sides to every story. 

• Like 2

Not to stir stuff up but there are a lot of people at that race who saw things from a different perspective that say Tony might not be 100% innocent. I guess these two have had a history and possibly Tony just meant to throttle up and scare him or roost him? I don't know, there are two sides to every story. 

I don't know the history between these two but I do know that the guy looked pissed and was stomping around a race track....at night....in black....with cars sliding around a corner at a high rate of speed

Was Tony looking slightly to his left because he was in the corner keeping his eyes on the exit like most racers do? I don't know but the guy was on the outside of the car so Tony probably didn't even see him

Watch the vid

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708

Edited by meyermetal
  • Like 2