Sign in to follow this  

Suspension set-up troubles

Hi, i ride a kxf 250 09 and i've got a .56 shock on the rear and .46 in the forks. Im an intermidiate rider, top half of inters but i really struggling on my suspension set-up, i' ve got the race sag and all that sorted but i find over the jumps it feels fine, but my front end on braking bumps is terrible, i feel every liitle bump and its so bad on the braking bumps going into corners i often get my hands battered off the bars and struggle to operate my levers

Im 19, 96 kg (15 1/2 stone) and im 6'3

Any help/advice would be appreciated cheers

by the sounds of the fork springs that you currently have, they sound too soft for your weight. i would think you require more .50 springs. because they are that soft you may have the comp dialed in too much? or you are feeling the harshness of the midvalve due to loosing your first part of your stroke with the soft springs

I clicked the rebound and comp down by 4 clicks, forks and rear, made a difference made it better but jesus it still feels like im riding a bike with no suspension on the front sometimes... Really doing my head in i thought it might be because the springs are too stiff if anything

Also to achieve proper static and race sag on the preload i had to compress the shock spring using nearly all of the thread... Does that sound right? Cheers

Your springs feel stiff because you are riding very low in the stroke , you need stiffer springs

Man suspension is hard to grasp, so we think i need heavier fork springs, maybe .48 or heavier? Like the suggested .50's

I would go 0.48 and 5.75 for the rear

What sags do you have in the rear

Yes your numbers are god but your preload sounds really high , the 5.75 would be a better choice

personally I would keep the rear spring as it is. take off preload to get 105mm rider sag which will give you closer to 35mm - 40mm static sag. definitely needs stiffer fork springs to match.

Ok cheers for the help guys, one more thing; what could you guys recommend i do for the time being to try get the current fork set-up to absorb the braking bumps better? I dont know whether to do the comp or rebound, whether to harden them soften them whatever, any help would be appreciated