Sign in to follow this  

How low can you go?

Hey guys,

My eldest son has just turned 5 and has been riding his crf50 for just on a year now. We often ride on a sand based track and he loves it. There is plenty of youngens ripping around on ktm50 and kx/ktm65s of which have often blasted past him and sent him face down after some contact. I know my boy could be a little quicker but unfortunately the suspension on the crf isn't doing him any favours in this terrain. The ride is very hard and with something a little more plush the ruts and bumps wouldn't knock him around so much and would hopefully give him more confidence to go a little quicker.

I have been keeping an eye out for a 65 that needs a little repair in order to pick it up for a steal. 

My question is though, I know the 65's can be lowered but how much before affecting the rideability on them. Ayden is only 42" tall and the crf is still very slightly on the tall side for him. I don't want to bust his confidence by making him ride something far too big for him.

So I was wondering, all you dads out there that have a 65 and have it lowered, what is the lowest seat height they can go and still be rideable? If you could please post the seat height of your lowered 65. Theres plenty of info around about how to lower them but nothing regarding measurements. 

Thanks in advance.

Unless you're really stuck on the idea of a 65, my 5 year old rides a ktm 50 mini sx. Powerful bike and has a great seat height. Maybe take a look at one.

Edited by Slow71

Unless you're really stuck on the idea of a 65, my 5 year old rides a ktm 50 mini sx. Powerful bike and has a great seat height. Maybe take a look at one.

I have been looking but caught up in the change over costs and how long before we need to upgrade again. Here in New Zealand a second or third hand sx 50 is pretty pricey to only have him out grow it in 12 months. An 08 runs in excess of $2500 as you can see in the link below.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-760105760.htm

An 07 Kx65 second hand will last him a few more years and can be raised again after lowering and second hand cheaper than the sx50

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-760860875.htm

His crf50 cost me $1500 and thats for an 04 model so I'd say its been through a few hands. The youth range of bikes in NZ are priced according to demand. You pay big dollars until you start looking at the intermediate stuff.